• Register Today It's free!

Low epc pressure on 5r55e

Nctruckman

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4-Dr
I was looking into a hesitation to shift under WOT on my 2003 5r55e. I have forscan lite on my phone with a obdlink mx reader. I noticed the epc pressure ranged from 10-65 psi while driving, which is low as per the Ford shop manual. If the valve body gasket was blown, wouldn't it not shift or move at all? I know ford has an updated epc solenoid and bracket, could it fix this?
Screenshot_20220425-061236.png

Screenshot_20220425-062814.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking into a hesitation to shift under WOT on my 2003 5r55e. I have forscan lite on my phone with a obdlink mx reader. I noticed the epc pressure ranged from 10-65 psi while driving, which is low as per the Ford shop manual. If the valve body gasket was blown, wouldn't it not shift or move at all? I know ford has an updated epc solenoid and bracket, could it fix this?View attachment 428891

View attachment 428892
yes low pressure can cause hesitation and delayed shift i;d start with the ford revisions or the sonnax/transgo kit (iirc all achieve the same result)

yes low pressure can cause hesitation and delayed shift i;d start with the ford revisions or the sonnax/transgo kit (iirc all achieve the same result)
Would I be better off getting an updated complete valve body or just modifying the one I have? It does have a sct tune, it shifted really nice and firm before, it does now intermittently.

Would I be better off getting an updated complete valve body or just modifying the one I have? It does have a sct tune, it shifted really nice and firm before, it does now intermittently.
it could go either way, as usually iirc updated VBs are somewhere around 300-500, and the transgo was 100 iirc if central valve bodies is still around, they had good stuff iirc

I found shift rite ones for a little under 3. Thank you for the input. I was gonna try the updated BW epc and updated bracket first to see if that's it, but now I'm hesitant.

I redid the test and at 1000 RPM it is 45 PSI and at stall speed it is around 113 PSI. So that meets the test specs in drive. I did notice however when I'm coasting or when I let off, it drops extremely low into the single digits. Is this normal or is this an issue?

sounds good! keep us posted!

Swapped it out, made some dowel pins to help align it when reinstalling it. Put on a pan with drain too after getting an atf shower
IMG_20220528_160444526.jpg

IMG_20220528_162543526.jpg

did it resolve the issue?

It shifts nicer, but no, it still won't shift if you put it to the floor I'm gonna try taking the sct tune off and see if it still does it. I replaced the tps with a ford one, is there any other sensor that'll cause this?

So I reloaded the sct tune it had, then cleared the transmission adaptive tables and now it's doing great.

This popped up again, culprit is actually a plugged fuel filter causing the issue. This is from the cut open filter
Screenshot_20220701-124224.png

Yep,I'm dropping the tank today. Engine wasn't running right and therefore couldn't shift right

This was left over from whenever the previous owner changed the fuel sending unit and didn't clean it out. Not much debris.
IMG_20220702_162114338.jpg

Back