• Register Today It's free!

Low fuel pressure, but runs fine?

Peder_y2k

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma WA USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
160,000 original miles. Quick cold/hot starts, good power, avg. fuel economy. Replaced filter, pressure regulator, temp sensor, but still operates at 26psi which is much lower than the 32-35psi per specs. No trouble codes.
Should I replace the pump?
Pete, in Tacoma WA USA
1994 Explorer Sport 2 door 4.0 5-speed 3.73ls

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if the vehicle is operating normally with low fuel pressure, why fix it if it's not broken?

Thinking low pressure indicates a relibility issue. Prefer to avoid failure out in the middle of nowhere at now 160k miles. Still, there are zero indications of quitting, and the fuel level sending unit works well indicating minimum or no corrosion issues at the hanger. Also thinking fuel atomization may not be as good as proper fuel pressure, and economy may improve with a new pump.
Hmm, just occurred to me the pump sock filter may be obstructed. Thinking to buy a Denso or Delphi pump to have available if I drop the tank for inspection.

Since dropping the tank isn't a job most care to repeat, I would go ahead and replace it all and have peace of mind that it's done and I don't have to go back in there.

Since dropping the tank isn't a job most care to repeat, I would go ahead and replace it all and have peace of mind that it's done and I don't have to go back in there.

Some people have gone in through the top (cut a hole in the floor) but I realize many are not comfortable doing that.

Back