• Register Today It's free!

Low Fuel Warning '05 Sport Trac

villen25

Reaction score
City, State
Virgin Islands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT
Hey, I have a 2005 Sport Trac XLT and it has been giving me the Low Fuel warning for couple days now. It happened couple hours after fulling the tank (23 Gallons). Is there a way that I can clear this warning myself?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the gauge indicating?

Well, the display where the odometer is says "low fuel". What does the actual fuel gauge needle say? The warning is programed directly with the gauge to show the message when the tank gets down to a certain level. Likely, you have a wiring problem rather than a gauge problem. Is yours a flex fuel engine? A "K" as the 8th character in the serial number indicates a flex fuel engine.

it was on full when i filled it up. but by the end of that day it dropped to empty and has been there all week. i just did a fill up at the gas station today and it wasnt even halfway empty.

I believe if the sending unit fails, the gauge defaults to empty. You can check the sending unit only if you do NOT have a flex fuel engine. A modification to the unit for a flex engine negates any testing.

I believe if the sending unit fails, the gauge defaults to empty. You can check the sending unit only if you do NOT have a flex fuel engine. A modification to the unit for a flex engine negates any testing.

i dont think i have the flx fuel engine. i have the 4wd xlt model. can you describe or post a pic of what i am looking for. i really want to get this fixed. i only had this truck for a lil over a month now.

What is the 8th character of your vin number. It is on the sticker on the driver's door.

A noted earlier, you do have a flex fuel engine. Short of plugging in a new sending unit, I know of no way to diagnose the problem other than tracing the wiring from the chassis plug to the tank. You could check the connection just outside the tank, sorta above the frame rail for any problems there. If the rest of the dash indicators are working, its doubtful there is a problem in the cluster.

Once again, I jumped the gun a bit. There is testing that can diagnose the gauge. It will take me forever to send it to you, but I'll try. It looks sorta involved.

Once again, I jumped the gun a bit. There is testing that can diagnose the gauge. It will take me forever to send it to you, but I'll try. It looks sorta involved.

thanks... thal'll be great... you've ben VERY helpful :)

Brad, you have mail...........

hey, i solved the problem. I changed the fuse for the Dome light (roof) and once i changed that, the fuel guage began to work again. I find it odd that the two of them are linked, but I happy its finally fixed.

So, if anyone has this issue... check the fuse for the roof light first.

thanks for the help :)

Back