Low growling noise coming from rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low growling noise coming from rear

Tyler92

Reaction score
City, State
Saratoga Springs, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello all. I have a 2002 Explorer with 62,000 miles and have a low pitch growling coming from what I believe is the right rear. It seems to get worse the further you drive which leads me to believe as it heats up it gets worse. I do know it's not a tire as I just replaced all four tires today. I was convinced that the tires were the problem but it is still there. Could it be a wheel bearing or maybe a u joint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Growling??

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. The 02's are becoming well known for their wheel bearing issues.

Most likely a wheel bearing, U joints usually are more of a squealing sound than a rumble.

If you don't have a locked rear end you should be able to jack up one side at a time (setting blocks for safety) and determine which side is bad. Just let it idle in gear and see which side is making the noise.

Thanks guys. I'll jack it up and give a listen although without any weight it may not make any noise. I'll keep you posted.

Usually with no weight on it it will still make a noise and you will be able to tell the difference from one side to the other.

I should add if you hear the rumble on both sides you could have bad bearings on both sides (unlikely) or you could have a bad bearing in the differential its self.

Back