Low idle problem on a 2000 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low idle problem on a 2000 Explorer.

nhawken

Reaction score
City, State
Tigard
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer Lmt.
HI, my 2000 explorer (V6 4.0L) has a low idle problem. It idles at 200rpm when warm, and doesn't when cold. Is there a sensor I can replace?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low idle speed is usually caused by a bad IAC (idle air control). It is actually an actuator (not a sensor). It controls the idle speed by controlling the amount of air that is allowed to bypass the (closed) throttle plate inside the throttle body. If it sticks closed, then it doesn't allow enough air in, and the idle speed is too low.

BTW, the idle speed for a 4.0L (either OHV or SOHC) should be 750 - 830 rpm when the engine is warmed up.

welcome

I didnt think the engine could stay running at 200 rpm. How does it idle? Its it really choppy and sounding like it will cut off, or is it a fairly smooth idle? It could just be the tachometer...

I just cleaned the Throttle body on mine and unreal how high the engine idles when cold, around 1500 rpm. When warm, about 700 rpm and does not shake the truck as it did before. It was so dirty it was choking the engine and stalling while cold. Even the air bleed hole was clogged shut.

Back