Low Idle Speed and Cold Start Stalls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Idle Speed and Cold Start Stalls

luvmonterey

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
My 1994 XLT is currently experiencing low idle speed at start up and frequently stalls unless I feather the accelerator pedal. Idle seems to be 400-500 RPM. Normally, with a cold start, the engine will idle at about 1100 RPM, and then adjust down to about 600 RPM after a minute or two. Currently, even when warmed up, the idle will remain low when I come to a stop. When the idle speed is low, the alternator gauge shows low voltage and the turn signals run slowly. When I put my foot on the accelerator, everything adjusts to normal. Sometimes, upon engine re-start, the idle speed will be normal, or when idling slowly, something will seem to "click", and the idle will adjust to normal. I have checked the ODB1 codes several times over the last couple of weeks (Key On, Engine Off), and no codes are returned. I hate to just start replacing parts without any codes returned. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately what you describe can be attributed to many different issues with a first gen. The OBD1 system is notoriously unhelpful in diagnosing problems.

Could be a bad IAC (Intake Air Control), CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor), or IAT (Intake Air Temperature Sensor), or MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). Could also be a fuel pump or fuel filter (check the rail for 35psi at idle).

I would start with the IAC.

Unfortunately what you describe can be attributed to many different issues with a first gen. The OBD1 system is notoriously unhelpful in diagnosing problems.

Could be a bad IAC (Intake Air Control), CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor), or IAT (Intake Air Temperature Sensor), or MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). Could also be a fuel pump or fuel filter (check the rail for 35psi at idle).

Thank you

Thanks for the information. When you say Intake Air Control, are you referring to the Idle Air Control Valve? I picked up a new Idle Air Control Valve today, but am holding off on installing it until I get clarification. If I have the wrong part, I will return it. Thanks again!

You are correct, I meant the idle air control valve.

You are correct, I meant the idle air control valve.
Thanks for the clarification. I replaced the IAC yesterday, and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your assistance!

Back