Low oil pressure and will not turn over after spark plug change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low oil pressure and will not turn over after spark plug change

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer LTD 4.6L V8
2002 Explorer v8 4.6L, had rough idle, "check engine light" came on. Took it to dealer, diagnosed as "#7 misfire", suggested tune-up, #7 coil, 130k miles. Changed out my own plugs, and #7 coil, started up fine, drove it around for 10 mins. Restarted, it was rough. Tried a couple of more times and it got rougher. It seemed like it seized a couple of times after turning over. Now, it will not turn over and a "low oil pressure" on display....

Please help....

G

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try and turn it over by hand if it won't you're screwed. How was the oil pressure when it was running? It's possible your started ir bad also, if it will not run it will read as having no oil pressure.

I did not pay attention to the oil pressure. It startwithout an issue and ran no problem for 10 mins on the highway. How do I check the pressure ?

You can't check the pressure unless it's running. I doubt the motor is seized, if you lost pressure while driving your check gauge light would of came on.

Sequence of events:

1.) After vehicle sat for 1 hr or so, I just tried restarting and it started. Turned off and restarted again, it tried with a squeal, did not start. A third time, it did not turn over. FORGOT to check oil pressure while it was running.

2.) Came in, sat for 1 min, went back out and restarted, OIL PRESSURE on dash OK. Turned off, tried to restart, a lot of clcking and rough noises did not start. Third time did not turn over.

Suggestions ??

Have someone try to start it and tap the starter with a hammer and see if it will turn over. Like I said I really doubt the motor is seized. If you think it might be seized then put a rachted on the crank bolt and try turning the motor by hand.

I don't think it is seized because each time I wait a few minutes, it seems it will start the first time and it will idle/run just fine. But 2nd attempt is where the noises start and of course on the third, it will not turn over.....

I'm wondering if I did not secure coils to spark plugs properly at it is misfiring so badly that it is causing engine to not start ....

I will be disassembling/assembling each coil to spark plug tomorrow....

BTW, is the flywheel bolt where I turn over the engine manually ?

the crankshaft bolt is where you would try and turn the engine over manually

Jakedrew,

I checked oil level (cold of course), it was below min. Added a quart and it brought it to mid level.

Still the same issue....

Thanks,

G

Next steps:

1.) Added oil to bring oil level to mid on dipstick hash marks

2.) Verified plugs seated and good connection to coils.

Still the same issue.....

Muhl,

I would attempt to tap the starter while attempting to start, but I do not know where it is....

Thanks,

G

I did turn by hand the crank (at least what I think is the crank), and it turned....

I'm leaning towards the starter, but then why would it start on 1st try after sitting for a few minutes and the 2nd/3rd try fail without even turning over on 3rd try and showing oil pressure low ?

Thanks,

G

On the first attempt, will the engine run? For how long and how well does it run? And is the low oil indicator on when the engine is running?

Matt,

Up to now, the vehicle has ran on the 1st try. The oil indicator on dash was OK. The car idled fine, and there was no inication of a problem. I would shut it off within 30 sec. to turn on a 2nd time, and that is when it would turn over, but no run. And then of course the third time it would not turn over.

In the last 5 min I tried to turn it on. On the 1st attempt, it turned over, but would not run. The 2nd attempt, it would not turn over at all.....

When I tried it a couple of hours ago, I saw the RPM's redline to 7k stay there for a second and then jump back down to 0 while attempting to turn on car......

Thanks,

G

How old is the battery? Sounds like you may have run your battery down; next time it starts, let it run for awhile (as long as the oil pressures OK) to charge-up the battery. Take it for a drive to a parts store (Like autozone) and see if they'll read the codes for you (write down the numbers) and test the battery. That clicking you mentioned could just be the starter not having enough battery power to properly engage.

i'm pretty sure with the engine off, the vehicle will say low oil pressure. its not running it cant make oil pressure.

ignore the low oil pressure and figure out why it wont start.

Like you guys, I thought it might have been the battery so I tried to jump it with our other family car (BTW, battery is 4-6 months old), but NO GO.

I would think that that would rule out the battery.....perhaps I'm mistaken...

I just tried again to start it.....1st try, it turned over but no start - sounded really rough....2nd time, it did NOT turn over, NO clicking, NOTHING.....

I'm going to try and jump it again, now that my wife is home.....

Thanks,

G

Tried jumping it again....NADA....does turn over, no clicking, nothing....the series of sensors/switches that need to be on which allow the starter to start turning the crank prior to firing sequence obviosly are not made. Now which one, that is the question.....

Any and all input is welcome.....

Thanks again for all of your suggestions....

G

does the theft light blink rapidly?

also go look under the car at the starter is the wire broken at the starter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just outsite trying to locate the starter....I could not find it. I know that it is on the driver's side, but where is best place to find it/access it? From the hood, wheel well or underneath ? Please be as specific as you can....

Thanks again guys....

G

Back