Low Oil Pressure message in message area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Oil Pressure message in message area

Capt'n Morgan

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Limited V8 AWD
BEFORE STARTING my 05 Expy with v8, it says Low Oil Pressure in the message area. However once it's on, no lights indicate any issues, and the message goes away.

The dealer I bought the vehicle (used) from, says this this is normal because the engine is not running. It doesn't seem to me like a message like this would be normal.

Any thoughts or experience with this message?

I have no user's manual for the vehicle, so I don't know if the book says it normal or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the key is in the 'on' position and the truck isn't running then I don't see anything unusual?

Yes, that is the case. I should have mentioned that. It just seems like an alarming message to display normally.

How do you like the your truck? I'm impressed in the short drive I had, wow, lots of power. And in the 400 mile trip to my house, the driver got 19+ mpg, which is better than I would have expected.

I love my 2000..it's my third Explorer actually. Plenty of power from the 5.0L and the AWD is pretty good in the snow. I recently drove out to State College from my home, around 160mi each way, and got 24mpg. Not too shabby for a heavy ***** of an SUV with a V8 :thumbsup:

Welcome to the board!

It's normal. My '05 does the same thing.

Don't bring it to Sears for an oil change. They'll tell you it's a problem...see my post on this issue I had with them. I will not bring my vehicle to them again.

Most vehicles will light up most or all their warning lights and noises when starting, it's part of the computer testing itself and the actual lightbulbs on everything.

Now if this were to stop, then you would have problems.

03 does the same thing. I knew WHY it did it, but have always thought of it to be stupid.

I have the same on my Explorer 05. The Ford Dealer I bought from says - nothing to worry about. I don't think too much as the light Oil Pressure low come for a brief moment in the message sound with a bleep and then goes away when the truck starts. Another positive is that the oil pressure gauge reads normal and the oil lamp light does not come on. Checking the dipstick in the engine - the oil level is fine.

However I wonder if this would be an issue when I go for Air Care test???
I bought the 2005 a year ago and have yet to go for Air Care emission test.

Any thoughts whether it will pass or fail with a message like this?
:exp:

I have the same on my Explorer 05. The Ford Dealer I bought from says - nothing to worry about. I don't think too much as the light Oil Pressure low come for a brief moment in the message sound with a bleep and then goes away when the truck starts. Another positive is that the oil pressure gauge reads normal and the oil lamp light does not come on. Checking the dipstick in the engine - the oil level is fine.

However I wonder if this would be an issue when I go for Air Care test???
I bought the 2005 a year ago and have yet to go for Air Care emission test.

Any thoughts whether it will pass or fail with a message like this?
:exp:

it should pass just fine, my 05 does.

Okay Thanks!

The reason the message appears when the key is in the "on" position but the vehicle is not running is not because you have an oil pressure "problem". It appears because your key is in the "on" position and your vehicle is not running. The computer assumes that your vehicle is running anytime the key is in the "on" position, but because the oil pump requires the engine to be running in order to pressurize your oil, the computer thinks your vehicle is running with no oil pressure. The message is absolutely nothing to worry about unless it appears while your vehicle is actually running. In that case, you need to shut off the vehicle ASAP.

Mine seems to do it when I turn the car on. It will say "low oil pressure" and then the needle will drop and it will stay like that for a few minutes. Here's a pic
DSC01113.jpg

It only does it on cold starts and like I said, it does it for a min or two. I use 5W-30, so I dont know what it could be

Your problem is most likely your oil pressure switch. The "issue" that everyone else is referring to occurs when the vehicle has not been started but the key is in the on position.

Back