• Register Today It's free!

Low Oil pressure

de_explorer2k2

Reaction score
City, State
NASHUA, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 EDDIE BAUER
I brought my '02 Explorer V6 in for an oil change at Sears today. The sale rep told me that the "Low Oil Pressure" message was shown on the message center. This happened when the car was not RUNNING,i.e. key only toggled (turned) to max prior to starting the engine. He told me the oil change could not be done because of this message. Sears did not want to hold any liability for damaging the engine. I asked the Sears mechanic to check for visible leakage. He found nothing and the oil was plenty, verified via dip stick. They still did not service my truck. When I got home, while the car running, I used the System Check via the SETUP button which came up with no error, i.e. System OK.

Was the sale rep right? If the engine is not running, isn't it supposed to show that message anyway? I've been using Sears for years for the oil change service. I hate to take it somewhere else if the sale rep was wrong about this. Please advise....

P.S. I always used Mobile 1 to replace every 5000 miles and now at 200K. I bought my truck new since 2001.

I have a 2005 Explorer and if I turn the key to "on" but do not start the engine, I get "low oil pressure" on the information center. It clears as soon as I start the engine and I bet this is the normal response for this condition. I wouldn't worry.

Cheers, Gary

And its normal for the Sears people to be confused about the operation of a motor vehicle. I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't take it back to them either.

I'm not worry about this at all. I'm just curious if this tech rep has full knowledge of what Sears policy is. If this policy is true, Sears will never get any of its customers get any oil change done....unless if he missed interpreting it. I understand if the engine is running and this message is shown, then there must be a leak and/or worn out component. I'm sure all the explorers with message center will show this. I have a 2006 as well, it does not show the written message but the RED oil pan logo. I think it means the same as Low Oil Pressure because there is no pressure if the engine is not running. Once the engine starts everything is clear from the message center.

Back