• Register Today It's free!

low oil pressure

abrilsdad

Reaction score
City, State
HUNTSVILLE, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer Sport 4.0
I have a 92 4.0 push rod with low oil pressure issue. At cold start no engine noise , like rod knocking or tapping, I do hear what sounds like timing chain going around. I put an oil pressure tester on and it reads maybe 6 lbs at idle and at 2000 rpm it reads maybe 8- 10 lbs. I read somewhere that the timing chain tensioner failing can cause oil blow by and cause low oil pressure, because its oil fed. As for pressure relief valve I don't know where it would be or the pressure regulator, if there is one on this engine. I need help too with this issue.
I did a tune up, plugs and wires and fuel filter change. and upon start up the in car gauge didn't move. it was in the middle right before. Changed the sender, no change. Then used a tester gauge to get the real readings mentioned. I have considered that maybe the pump isn't producing enough flow because I removed the gauge from the hose and plugged the hose with my finger and feel a slight and low pulse. And since there is no engine noise like rod knocking wouldn't think it would be a bearing issue with clearance and oil pressure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn’t that gauge electric? Just wondering.

Isn’t that gauge electric? Just wondering.
The gauge in truck is, the oil pressure tester is not.
I replaced sender with no change, that's why I went to a tester to see what the real pressure was. The pump moves oil but there is no force behind it.
specs say 40-60 psi at 2000rpm
I think its a volume of oil it moves issue

The gauge in truck is, the oil pressure tester is not.
I replaced sender with no change, that's why I went to a tester to see what the real pressure was. The pump moves oil but there is no force behind it.
specs say 40-60 psi at 2000rpm
I think its a volume of oil it moves issue

ok sorry, I misunderstood.
thanks for clarifying
could the pickup tube be blocked or restricted?

ok sorry, I misunderstood.
thanks for clarifying
could the pickup tube be blocked or restricted?
I'm thinking it's that or pump is just bad at this point. I know the timing chain guide gets it oil from port to sender. That may be so bad it's causing bleed off.

Back