Low or Zero Speed Shudder in Power Steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low or Zero Speed Shudder in Power Steering

Lonnie-S

Reaction score
City, State
Carlsbad, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4x4
I have a 2002 Sport Track 4x4 with a V6 engine. Periodically, while maneuvering in parking lots or other low speed situations, I feel a shudder in the steering wheel, and a drop in engine speed. Does anyone know what's failing here?

Thanks,

Lonnie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try flushing the power steering fluid. You can get a shudder when the fluid gets old. Otherwise, it sounds like you're stressing the P/S pump.

Thanks, I'll do a visual inspection on the fluid in the power steering pump today. It's probably the stuff that's been in since it was built. I've only had it a few months, myself. It's all-around a good truck other than this small issue.

Cheers,

IDK that a visual inspection will tell you anything. The fluid isn't designed to be good for ever. Best to flush, but if you don't want to do that, get yourself a turkey baster and suck out the reservoir (I've also siphoned the fluid out) refilling with Mercon V ATF, but you'll need to repeat this process multiple times to get enough of the fluid changed.

Good advice from koda. If you want to do a complete P/S flush it's pretty easy and quick. Important NOT to turn the wheels with the engine not running. Common mistake of aerating the recommended Mercon V ATF causing steering wheel shake.
If you have shake, start the engine and drive slowly while turning the wheel lock to lock repeatedly until the shuddering stops.

@koda2000
@swshawaii

Alright guys, I get the picture. Thanks for the additional info. I'll check my local service providers to see who can do the flush operation. I'd rather spend some money on maintenance rather than spend even more money on a big repair.

Cheers,

@swshawaii

Thanks for that TSB. If nothing else comes from it, it's at least a roadmap of what needs to be done to correct the problem. I'm pretty sure the build date can be determined from the VIN and the TSB breaks the repair regime out by build date, so that is excellent. There is also an hours estimate for each repair scenario. That may help me as there's an "official" estimate of the required shop hours.

Thanks very much for that additional information.

Lonnie

VIN should provide you an exact born on date. IIRC, drivers door sticker also has that info.

Found this by accident doing some EVAP work under the driver side hood on my 2005.

zkmlZkB.jpg

Back