Low Range Light Comes On Randomly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Range Light Comes On Randomly

chevyh8ter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer
This seems to be some what common on the 1st gen-push button-4x4 systems. My '90 Bronco II LED will glow dim when its really cold out side and now my 94 Explorer low range LED is coming on randomly. I'm curious if the 4x4 relay box in the rear cargo area has capacitors that could be going bad ? Or, has anyone ever figured out the root problem ? I'm not scared of it shifting into 4X4 while driving, but I am affraid that its affecting other components. For instance, my headlights cut out while driving the other night. Someone on another thread suggested swapping to new headlight bulbs (lower wattage) and checking the switch, to resolve that issue. Just wondering here.

My 4 high light has a constant glow dimmer than the actual light when it's on my 4x4 light on the instrument cluster no longer works but I think those are there for when your in a fog or when the suns setting and you don't feel like turning on your runners, just so you know where the buttons are. My 91 push button did what your's does to until I swapped it with a later style now only the 4 high glows. Also check the wiring to the connector.

Back