low range on a 94 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

low range on a 94 XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Christmas Valley, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
firstoff my name is Uriah, im new to the forum and im new to SUV vehicles. i read about 4low needing the tranny to be into neutral for this to engage, but i try that and the 4low lights do not come on. 4x4 comes on just fine. when i sit in the xlt and have the key to on position and push the 4x4 button you can hear it engage and disengage. now for the 4low i can hear something like i should. but there are no dash lights on indicating that 4low is engaged. if i push the button again nothing happens. again i am new to 4x4 rides and new to fords. so tell me what you guys know:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe there is a brake switch too. You need to be in neutral, not moving with foot on the brake for it to shift into low range.

If you do this and hear a clunk but still have no lights, try driving a very short distance. It should be very clear whether you are in low range or not.

If it isn't shifting into low range, 'search' for shift motor rebuild threads and you will find how to repair it.

Good luck:thumbsup:

well i did some more reading and found out you have to push 4x4 first then low range. duh... haha thanks for the help!

well i did some more reading and found out you have to push 4x4 first then low range. duh... haha thanks for the help!

As a friendly FYI a lot of things like that are in the owners manual. That book has a suprising amount of information in it.

rustbucketMI said:
As a friendly FYI a lot of things like that are in the owners manual. That book has a suprising amount of information in it.

Well if purchased used there is a pretty good chance there is no manual. I'd say more than half of the used cars I've purchased didn't have one.

Back