• Register Today It's free!

Low rear end

Pipelayer

Reaction score
City, State
Gary, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport Coupe 4WD, SUV
My 2000 Ford Explorer 2 Door Sport SUV, has a low rear end. My Mechanic buddie says it should be leveled across the board. He had previously sent me to a spring shop because my rear left end was low. The mechanic at the shop told me he'd taken care of the leaning left rear end and said it was no charge. When I asked him what did he do, he replied; "I just adjusted up the torsion bar. I check it from the back and both sides were leveled. Not being an ace mechanic like my friend I did not notice the whole back end was now lower, leveled but lower, my buddy noticed it right away when he saw it. My buddy wasn't 100% positive but he thought it might be the leaf spring.

I'm hoping someone here can possibly give me some help and info on what it might be. I have seen other 2000 ford explorers that lean down in the rear and thought that was just the way they made them but several people have told me it wasn't so. I must admit I'm curious about the torsion bar adjustment. Can the rear end be lifted and leveled with such and adjustment? And if so, why didn't the mechanic at the spring shop do it? Before he adjusted the torsion bar just to left end was low, now both the left and right end are low.. The difference in the front and rear height of the vehicle is not that extreme. I would say the front end is about 3 to 5 more inches above the ground than the rear. But the front end points up and it kind of looks like the vehicle is in position to take off like a plane.

I would appreciate any information anyone has to offer - Thanks :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear being low seems to be normal with most Explorers. You can install a add-a-leaf which will raise the rear of the vehicle about 0.75".

search.... for SHACKLES thatll be your best best to level out the truck.

The rear being low seems to be normal with most Explorers. You can install a add-a-leaf which will raise the rear of the vehicle about 0.75".

Are you guys saying that they come of the assembly line this way? Does that mean that all the level explorers I see have had something extra done to them by the owners?

Are you guys saying that they come of the assembly line this way? Does that mean that all the level explorers I see have had something extra done to them by the owners?

i doubt that any of the ones you see have anything extra done to them...in most instances you'll see the rear end sag as well as the drivers side..the most common instance attributed to drivers side 'lean' is both gas tank and driver, being that they're both on the same side it will cause the vehicle to lean over time..i had the same problem and at first i thought it was sagging springs but it wasn't...you should be able to match the rear height and front height pretty close via add-a-leaf or shackles but chances are if you measure, the drivers side rear(or in some cases the whole drivers side) will always sit a tad lower..but ya either lower the front back down or get some shackles/AAL to match the rear with the front, but don't put too much worry into the slight lean it's commonplace

And a third option would be to install leaf springs from a 4 door explorer...but you dont seem like you are looking to do any modifications like that.
Anyway, the torsion bars only adjust the front suspension not the rear. That mechanic simply lowered the right torsion bar which resulted in the raising of the left rear, like a teeter-totter. As for the rear end being lower after all this, i dont see how this could have happened.

They come from the factory fairly level, but the rear springs will almost always sag if used alot. Although mine are multi-leaf and not mono-leaf like yours, both of my rear springs sagged 2" within a year. My next door neighbor had the exact same model and his stayed level for the 4 years he had it. I use mine to haul stuff, but he just drove his to work and back.

I swapped in heavier duty springs and no longer worry about sag.

As mounty71 said, adjusting the front torsion bars can be like a teeter-totter and correct for corner-height differences. Except I think the mechanic cranked UP the front until he got it level side to side. This would make the front to rear rake worse.

I've always noticed the lower rear on others and especially mine. I installed shackles but I just adjusted Torsion bars to match the height gane so it still looked like it sagged to me. I salved it by swapping leaf springs out of a F150 in a local bone yard. It's been well worth the $40 and a couple hours it took. I can really notice the differance when towing or when I have the back loaded down. It will hardly sag at all now and the ride has been much better, it even feels like the tires are getting more power.

Here is a couple pics comparing the added height of the new leaf springs and shackles compared to a stock 4dr, the tires are the same size.

Explorer_0131.jpg

Explorer_0122.jpg

Big difference over stock. Its begging for larger tires now.

Turns out the previous owner had jacked up the front end by adjusting the torsion bars, said the mechanic when I took to to the shop. He lowered and leveled it off and handed me a bill for 25 bucks.

Hey Silver I really, really like that spoiler on your Explorer. Where can I get one?

Mine doesn't have a spoiler.

Did you mean the one on ExploringNC's truck?

From what I've been told it was a dealer ad on from Ford. I have all the original paper work even the window sticker but it doesn't mention anything about it beeing a special package, so I don't know where it came from other than a dealer add on

From what I've been told it was a dealer ad on from Ford. I have all the original paper work even the window sticker but it doesn't mention anything about it beeing a special package, so I don't know where it came from other than a dealer add on

Thanks, maybe I'll look at a custom shop for one.. Sorry Silver, you're right, it was ExploringNC's vehicle.

What year F-150 did you pull them springs out of ?, I am toying with the idea of getting another set of springs but using orginal shackels......

Back