Low side a/c valve leaking need replacing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low side a/c valve leaking need replacing?

pitbulldell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
95 Explorer , I checked the Freon level the other day and when I removed the gauge the valve started leaking . It has a little black ball inside it. Where can I buy a replacement valve? I would like to replace with a new one instead of on from a local salvage yard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's probably not bad, just needs tightening. Get a valve core tool for tires, and tighten the inside of the valve. Not too tight, but you should definitely hear the leak stop after about 1/4 turn. Had the same issue on my 94. Good luck with it!

It's probably not bad, just needs tightening. Get a valve core tool for tires, and tighten the inside of the valve. Not too tight, but you should definitely hear the leak stop after about 1/4 turn. Had the same issue on my 94. Good luck with it!
it doesn't have the tire valve in it. It has what looks like a black rubber ball inside it.

Perhaps a broken piece from an old cap is stuck in there. Can you take a photo?
it doesn't have the tire valve in it. It has what looks like a black rubber ball inside it.

I bought a kit at Auto Zone for my son's Dakota. It had service ports and schrader valves. The service port just un-bolted, and the schrader valve, I used a tire stem schrader valve tool. It was the same size.

I got the service port kit from NAPA Luckily mine sealed up and has lasted the summer season.

didn't want to have to Evacuate and recharge system till next spring after I change all the O rings.

This is a common problem with age, especially if the service ports have never been accessed before.

I'd replace them and Orings, and have a dependable A/C!

Back