• Register Today It's free!

Low Washer alarm driving me crazy

larrydog25

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 1996 Eddie Bauer edition and after approximately one minute after turning the it on the low washer activates on the screen on the console. My fluids are full....anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wellcome to the site.
If you have a low washer fluid alarm It is most likely activated by a switched float of sorts.
Would bet it is cracked and full of fluid.Just a guess.

spindlecone said:
Wellcome to the site.
If you have a low washer fluid alarm It is most likely activated by a switched float of sorts.
Would bet it is cracked and full of fluid.Just a guess.

I have this same problem, it drives me crazy as well! and you get pissed off and hit the reset button a bunch of times and end up resetting your fuel economy as well.... lol, at least that is what i do.

And its funny to because it will come on, then go off then come back on, its like an evil circle game.

Anyways so where would this sensor thing be? Their is no float in the fluid container.

Look for wires / connectors on the sides of the containers.... there isn't any "large" float ball hanging around like in a fuel tank or so. To find your problem (ie. whether its your front or back washer pump, coolant res, etc), unplug one or the other and see if your problem is temporarily solved. Typically what happens is the contacts stick together and "small float action" is not sufficient to get them to unstick.

Alternatively, take a meter and measure for shorts and opens with the connector removed.

the float for the sensor is in the bottom of the washer bottle. If your truck has ever had stop leak in it or just really dirty antifreeze the float will stick. Take the bottle off and clean it out really good. Flip the bottle upside down and then right side up. You will hear the float thumping as you do this. Clean until the float slides up and down with ease.

Back