• Register Today It's free!

Low Washer Fluid Warning Stuck on

Luke1975

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Ltd
First post here. Found site Goggling to find info about this issue.

I took my 2011 Limited to the dealer in December 2012 after the Low Washer Fluid Waring and stayed on after I filled the tank to the top with fluid. They confirmed the light was not working properly and replaced the washer tank. (see photo of service ticket)
Last week the light came on again so I fill tank and now the light is stuck on again. Does anyone know where is sensor is that tell the Explorer that the fluid is low. Seems odd to me that 2 tanks have went bad in less than 6 months.
Anyone else hear of a bad fluid level indicator?

photo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my 2011 Limited to the dealer in December 2012 after the Low Washer Fluid Waring and stayed on after I filled the tank to the top with fluid. They confirmed the light was not working properly and replaced the washer tank. (see photo of service ticket)
Last week the light came on again so I fill tank and now the light is stuck on again. Does anyone know where is sensor is that tell the Explorer that the fluid is low. Seems odd to me that 2 tanks have went bad in less than 6 months.
Welcome to the Forum Luke1975.:wavey:
I don`t recall reading any other posts with this issue. I would guess that the sensor is somewhere within the fluid container itself.

Peter

I came across the following photo that shows the washer tank and you can see where the sensors are located. I guess that explains why they had to remove the inner fender. Hope that helps.

Peter

Attachments

• 5645333380_f8308d2f26_bP5010078a_2.JPG
    5645333380_f8308d2f26_bP5010078a_2.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 3,104

That is a good photo of the washer bottle Peter. I an going to take it back to the dealer when I get a chance. I'll post an update after that.

That is a good photo of the washer bottle Peter. I an going to take it back to the dealer when I get a chance. I'll post an update after that.

Hi Luke1975,

Let us know what you hear from the dealer. If you need my assistance, send me a PM with your information and I'll check out your case. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hi Luke1975,

Let us know what you hear from the dealer. If you need my assistance, send me a PM with your information and I'll check out your case. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Thanks for your offer Crystal. The crew at Harrisonburg Ford in Harrisonburg, VA is usually helpful but will let you know if there is any problem.

Thanks for your offer Crystal. The crew at Harrisonburg Ford in Harrisonburg, VA is usually helpful but will let you know if there is any problem.

Keep me posted, Luke1975. I'm sure the fine folks at Harrisonburg Ford will take great care of you. :)

Crystal

Just got my Explorer back. They replaced the washer level sensor and it is working now.

photo1.jpg

Low washer fluid sensor...

Is it really possible that a loaded, near $50k vehicle sold in 2013 lacks a "low washer fluid" sensor? Ran out of juice in my Sport the other day... Blew my mind.

It's a regression of sorts - I'm pretty sure my '01 Ex Sport had this, and it didn't even have automatic transmission! :)

Obviously not a big deal, but seriously Ford - details count.

(Of course, if there *is* supposed to be a sensor & mine just isn't working... lemme know!)

Is it really possible that a loaded, near $50k vehicle sold in 2013 lacks a "low washer fluid" sensor? Ran out of juice in my Sport the other day... Blew my mind.

It's a regression of sorts - I'm pretty sure my '01 Ex Sport had this, and it didn't even have automatic transmission! :)

Obviously not a big deal, but seriously Ford - details count.

(Of course, if there *is* supposed to be a sensor & mine just isn't working... lemme know!)
I would assume that since the non-Sport model has the sensors, that your would have as well. Perhaps they aren't functioning properly.

Peter

Wow, not sure how I missed this thread; thx for moving mine.

So what's the official word? Does the Sport have a fluid sensor?

Wow, not sure how I missed this thread; thx for moving mine.

So what's the official word? Does the Sport have a fluid sensor?
I just checked the online 2013 Owner's Guide and unless there is a different one for the Sport, the answer would seem to be that it does have sensors.
Page 117 (Instrument Cluster) shows an indicator picture for the low washer level sensor warning with the following;

Low washer fluid (RTT)
Illuminates when the windshield washer fluid is low.

Peter

Does anyone know if there is a code that can be reset to clear the light? I'd like to make sure I've tried all options before replacing the sensor. Thanks.
2015 XLT 3.6L

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I would think the issue is likely with the sending unit in the washer fluid container. Is the pump working?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I would think the issue is likely with the sending unit in the washer fluid container. Is the pump working?

Peter
Yes the pump works fine and the tank is full. I was hoping there was something else that could be done before replacing the sensor. Thanks.

You can unplug the sensor if you just don't want to look at the light. At least that worked on my '07 Expedition.

Back