lowcost alternative to Dynamat... help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowcost alternative to Dynamat... help!

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Ok, I've seen posts where people cover every square inch of their explorer in Dynamat at HUGE expense. Seeing as how I lack that kind of funding I also looked at posts where people have said Sure Grip was a similar product that produced the similar results at a much, much lower cost. I've called just about every hardware place I can think of where I live (Northern VA - Near DC) and no one has Sure Grip.

The closest thing I've found is Firestone WallPad (or something like that) which I was told is basically the same thing as Sure Grip. It was $9.30 for a 30in x 30in piece. I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for. Anyone help me out on where I can get Sure Grip? Or if this Firestone stuff is comparable?

Also, Dynamat has an aluminum foil front, is that just for show?

On a related subject, the place I was going to place the padding was on the rear hatch because the plastic panel on it rattles like it was on crack. Anyone else have a similar problem?

'95 limited.

Thanks for help
-patrick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with my 94 with the rear hatch, if you want to be real cheap (like me) take some house insualtion(pink fluffy sh*t) and just stuff it in your rear hatch. It worked great for me. I did not hear it rattle even with my subs blasting. you can also use that foam in a can stuff to line the inside of your x. I can't remember what it is called but it is in a red can and you can find it at wal mart in the tool section. Just my thoughts...

Do a search here for RAAMAT (or something like that). There was a post about a month ago for it. It is a much less expensive alternative to Dynomat. I ordered a roll of their thicker version and was very pleased with the quick service. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though but from the posts I read, it is comparable to Dynomat. Their web-site even has aan on-line step by step installation guide with complete with pictures. Look back about a month.

I read on here somewhere that for a rear hatch rattle some carpet padding will work just fine. I think I am going to try that out .

I just ordered RAAMAT! Havnt gotten the stuff yet, will let everyone know how it works when i install it.

Don

Someone also posted a few months back about some roofing material that comes in rolls that is made with aluminum and asphalt material. I've seen it at Lowe's. Comes in a roll about 6 " tall. Haven't tried it, though.

i heard that the stuff called "beaver tail" works good.

Yup i heard about the Roofing material stuff too! I was going to purchase some, but it's may to thick! Plus it looks like shingles. :( Im not putting that stuff in my truck. ;)

Don

The material I saw did not look like shingles and was the same thickness as dynamat. The side that would stick to the door was sticky asphalt type material with a thin sheet of aluminum on top that would face out.

Check also Q-Pad , it is a replacement to the " regular "
oem sound deadining material in cars.

The roofing material is called Peel and Seal and yes you can find it at Lowe's for about 22 dollars a roll. I put 2 layers on my back hatch and it pretty much stopped all the rattling coming from it.

does the peel and seal have an aluminum top? and have you put it anywhere besides the back hatch? and did it make a difference?

how big was the roll?

i used b-quiet extreme from www.b-quiet.com its the same thing as dynamat extreme just w/o the dynamat logo, it was like 80 bux for 50 square feet, alot cheaper then dynamat

I think a bunch of people posted this same question sometime ago and a few guys suggested water shield and ice guard? They said it was just like dynamat, and even thicker. Plus it was hella cheap. Im sure that will work.
-Kyle

yea, but where do you get the ice guard stuff?

The ice and water guard is the stuff i saw! You dont want that stuff. It's way to thick. I cant see anyone wanting to install this crap in their truck.

Don

You have gotten some really good advice here about replacements for Dynomax, but if you are going to put it only areas without moving parts, like your rear hatch, the cheapest and best sound insulator you can get in simple house insulation. We used it in the van convertion shop I used to work at all the time behind the walls. It does wonders!

Of course, it doesn't work where parts are moving, like inside doors.

Robb

Originally posted by DonM
The ice and water guard is the stuff i saw! You dont want that stuff. It's way to thick. I cant see anyone wanting to install this crap in their truck.

Don

I used the ice and water guard stuff and it worked great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by B94Sport

I used the ice and water guard stuff and it worked great.

Did the stuff you use have the metal backing? The ice and water guard i saw did not, and i think were talking about somthing dif?!

Don

Back