• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

soloxx

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer LTD
Just drove 450 miles of interstate yesterday. Hit nothing I'm aware of. Woke up this morning. Backed my '12 Explorer out of the parking spot. Heard a noise. Climbed out. There on the ground was the duct assembly that rests behind the front air dam. No sign of breakage. Just laying there a bit scraped from contact from the asphalt.

I had the vehicle serviced three days ago (oil and filter, replacement of transmission seal. Any chance they had to remove the duct work to access the filter, drain plug, etc?

So... I've about had it with this car. Anyone know what this component is for? Is the car drivable without it? I could find no parts diagrams online, and today is MLK's birthday, so dealerships are closed. I was to be back on the road tomorrow.

In the past month I've had the car in for the A pillar, MFT, oil leak... and now parts falling off?

If the problems with this Explorer weren't so ridiculous, I'd be crying.

2012 Explorer LTD AWD with 6250 miles on the odo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Bill #5 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
If just clips back in. I've had heavy rain unclip mine, and deep snow. Always the driver's side.

storlied

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
I wonder how this platform will mature in later years, the first of any generation always has it's faults.

Hidef

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
If you are talking about the air duct that is 3 or so feet long, it has to be removed to change the oil. It has two thumb screws in the front and one in the back. It is easy to remove and reinstall.

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
i have had mine removed for almost 6 months now. it fell off partially when my girlfriend hit a park stop, and to prevent any further damage I just took the whole thing off.

I have yet to notice ANY change in engine temp, productivity, or MPG's. its only purpose is to catch extra air and direct it up into the engine component to help cool. IMO its not worth the trouble of ground clearance issues and coming off.

Im sure others may argue differently, but i havent had issues and i prefer the ground clearance with it off.

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I wonder how this platform will mature in later years, the first of any generation always has it's faults.
i may be wrong but i believe they removed this piece for the 2012 ...?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
i have had mine removed for almost 6 months now. it fell off partially when my girlfriend hit a park stop, and to prevent any further damage I just took the whole thing off.

I have yet to notice ANY change in engine temp, productivity, or MPG's. its only purpose is to catch extra air and direct it up into the engine component to help cool. IMO its not worth the trouble of ground clearance issues and coming off.

Im sure others may argue differently, but i havent had issues and i prefer the ground clearance with it off.
If you are talking about that black valance or air deflector that runs the width of the front bumper, that is part of the vehicle's aerodynamics, as are those small flaps in front of the rear wheels.

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
If you are talking about that black valance or air deflector that runs the width of the front bumper, that is part of the vehicle's aerodynamics, as are those small flaps in front of the rear wheels.
no im not talking about the fascia or bumper, there is an air scoop under the engine block that is causing the issues (originally with me and now with the creator of this thread). I was replying to him stating that i have had mine removed for 6 months now with no issues in engine temp or mpgs. I understand what your talking about and what the aerodynamic components do. the piece we removed has nothing to do with aero, its to help cool the engine.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
no im not talking about the fascia or bumper, there is an air scoop under the engine block that is causing the issues (originally with me and now with the creator of this thread). I was replying to him stating that i have had mine removed for 6 months now with no issues in engine temp or mpgs. I understand what your talking about and what the aerodynamic components do. the piece we removed has nothing to do with aero, its to help cool the engine.
Okay, thanks for the reply. I didn't think that was the subject of the thread. The reason I asked was that I was down on all fours looking under the front end and could not see anything else that could get caught on something. Except for that front fascia, nothing was lower than the engine block itself.

Peter

jrmexplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Are you talking about the air cooler scoop for the tow package? I think that's part of the tow package and is part of the engine oil cooler for towing. You probably won't notice any issues taking it off until you tow.

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
Except for that front fascia, nothing was lower than the engine block itself.
Peter
The scoop he is referring to is only on vehicles with the factory towing package. No towing package, no scoop.

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
The scoop he is referring to is only on vehicles with the factory towing package. No towing package, no scoop.
yeah i do have the tow package. i hadnt realized it was exclusive to the towing package, but it makes sense now. and ill have to make sure i put it back on prior to any towing.

Spengracin

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Limited
Yes, exclusive to the towing package only, it is installed on MY2011/2012

gdecamp

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 X Limited AWD
I have no tow package, I do have a scoop. Last time I had an oil change it fell off the front clips and was dragging down the highway, they forgot to tighten it. Snaps in place like mentioned above!! Another dumb design they will eventually break.

donm527

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
hmm thats interesting... front lower intake but no tow package?
you sure you dont have it? maybe you dont know you have a hitch in back ;)

I have no tow package, I do have a scoop. Last time I had an oil change it fell off the front clips and was dragging down the highway, they forgot to tighten it. Snaps in place like mentioned above!! Another dumb design they will eventually break.

gdecamp

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 X Limited AWD
hmm thats interesting... front lower intake but no tow package?
you sure you dont have it? maybe you dont know you have a hitch in back ;)
Hitch should be easy to see :D Nah, don't have it, here is Sticker too;

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8F83BGA58604

We are talking about the flat black metal scoop on the bottom of the car that clips in front under and slightly in back of bumper and heads toward back of engine under car.....the one that fell off on me after the last oil change. lol

soloxx

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer LTD
Air Intake

I had mine reinstalled by the kind folks at West Herr Ford in Hamburg, NY. Got me right in, in spite of the heavy post-holiday traffic. (I'm just traveling through the area).

The service manager advised me that the part is important to cooling the aft part of the engine where it meets the transmission. The dealership had over 15 2012 Explorers in stock, and everyone I saw had the duct installed. But, honestly, I didn't check to see whether each one had 4WD or a towing package. Service also advised me that their mechanics have failed to properly reattach the duct after oil service on several occasions. I'd hate to be in a trailing car or on a bike trailing the Explorer that sheds this 15-20 pound piece of plastic and metal.

Anyway, I'm back on the road, bound for Seattle, WA. We'll see what other surprises are in store.

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
the one that fell off on me after the last oil change. lol
Looks like you got a freebie, courtesy of a mistake at the factory! Personally, I'd remove it and stick it in the basement. It serves no purpose unless you are towing. One less aggravation when changing the oil.

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
each one had 4WD or a towing package
4WD has nothing to do with it. It is only on vehicles equipped with the factory towing package.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

donm527

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
It really wouldn't be easy to see.... The hitch is hidden with a cover on the lower back bumper... Removable with two twist type screws at the bottom.

Next to your power lift gate button on your dashboard, is there is working TOW button next to it?

I see your tag... Yous shoudnt have it. But sounds u got a freebie like someone mentioned... Maybe the hitch is there too as a freebie ;)

Hitch should be easy to see :D Nah, don't have it, here is Sticker too;

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8F83BGA58604

We are talking about the flat black metal scoop on the bottom of the car that clips in front under and slightly in back of bumper and heads toward back of engine under car.....the one that fell off on me after the last oil change. lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Front Lower Air Dam - how to remove and replace? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
0 Need clips for Lower Shield air deflector Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
B Is the lower valence necessary? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
J Correct separator tool for ball joint @ lower control arm(front) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
A Remove Exterior Lower Door Panel Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
A Aftermarket sharkfin antenna that’s lower than OEM? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
R Replacing lower black plastic components on Sport Rear Bumper? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
C Front lower control arm Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
S how to replace lower facia and grill Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
C 2011 Front Lower Control arm replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
T 2014 Sport - Rear Bumper Lower Fascia Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
K Exterior lower door trim removal Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
D Does Lower arm assembly replacement affect wheel alignment? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
K 2017 Explorer Platinum Front Lower Fascia Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
D need advise on installing LOWER VALANCE PANEL Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Front end clunk has returned.....lower ball joints Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
P Thudding coming from front end at lower speeds Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
E Connector on lower bottom driverside of radiator Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
B 2011 Explorer Lower Grill Full of Leaves Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
A 2013 Sport Rear Lower Bumper Cover Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
B Want to lower the 2012 XLT Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
R lower grille replacement 2012 explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
Rick Broken lower control arm Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 28
1 brand new but one side lower than the other Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
G Lower grill cutout? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 80
G Removing lower rear plastic bumper cover? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
B Center console passenger side lower panel Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
N Does your front lower valance have rivets or not? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 30
R MSRP How much lower than it can I expect Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26
B 2011 Explorer Terrain Management System Fault and Service Advanced Trac. No air blowing at all. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
E Air Conditioner Charged and Compressor Spins, but no cooling Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
F 2015 Explorer Limited Air Bag Light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
G Air shutter wiring harness Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
D Air Conditioning Died--Suggestions? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
S Solved Ambient Air Temperature Location Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
T Air Conditioner Problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
edwx Does my 2017 Explorer have a cabin air filter? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
R Hot air out vents when accelerating Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S ambient air temp sensor Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
R 2014 front windshield defogger is forced air only? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M Black carbon on engine air filter every 4 months Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
T 2015 Explorer Air, ambient lighting, outside temp gauge stopped working Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
J 2011 Air conditioner issues. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
J 2017 XLT cabin air filter Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
E fan speed fluctuates on 2015 ford explorer air conditioning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
Z Air filter element? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 19
B Hole in Blend Air Door on drivers side 2011 XLT Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
G What is this I found in my air filter box? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
B 2016 Air Conditioning Subframe Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
S Bigger tires more or less air? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6