Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

I just checked for mine that and there was no mention of the air duct at all. It could possibly be combined with another item/package. Now I have to go out and check to see if I actually have one.:)

Peter
I was thinking that if the vehicle came with the "factory tow package" that i would be included in that package and not just listed as the air duct/dam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking that if the vehicle came with the "factory tow package" that i would be included in that package and not just listed as the air duct/dam.
Good point. :banghead: I guess that may also apply to those with the Ecoboost and no tow package.

Peter

I agree that this doesn't sound right. If you didn't need one then the factory would have installed the fascia without the cutout in it. The mounting points however could be common to all trims regardless of whether they should have the air duct or not.

Peter
Yes, mounting points ( square holes in the rails and bracket) are common to all cars but the metal clips that goes into those holes into which the air duct mounting hardware screw in, are only there if needed

Mine also has the attachment clips in the holes.

Anyway, I just finished checking with a friend of mine that works for Ford. He tells me that the primary reason the duct work is there is to cool the PTU.
As for my Sport not having the duct, he's going to research that tomorrow. Regardless, I think it would benefit the PTU by having the duct on there.

Mine also has the attachment clips in the holes.

Anyway, I just finished checking with a friend of mine that works for Ford. He tells me that the primary reason the duct work is there is to cool the PTU.
As for my Sport not having the duct, he's going to research that tomorrow. Regardless, I think it would benefit the PTU by having the duct on there.
While that is true with the earlier years, there are posts here that say that on the later years it is to cool the turbos since the vehicles with turbos and no tow package have the duct. :dunno:

Peter

So I have a 2014 Explorer that I got about 3 weeks ago. I just made a 1200 mile trip and after I arrived, when I was out and about I noticed my air dam was hanging. I don't recall hitting anything during the trip. It looks like only the front side is detached. I quickly tried re attaching it but the fastener but it almost seems like there is nothing on the car for it to "lock" in to.

I only quickly tried to do this in a parking lot. Should it be as easy as pushing up on the dam and twisting the fastener or is there some trick to it? I'd like to reattach (or remove if necessary) before I have to make the long trip back.

Mods, if I should start a new thread for this let me know.

So I have a 2014 Explorer that I got about 3 weeks ago. I just made a 1200 mile trip and after I arrived, when I was out and about I noticed my air dam was hanging. I don't recall hitting anything during the trip. It looks like only the front side is detached. I quickly tried re attaching it but the fastener but it almost seems like there is nothing on the car for it to "lock" in to.

I only quickly tried to do this in a parking lot. Should it be as easy as pushing up on the dam and twisting the fastener or is there some trick to it? I'd like to reattach (or remove if necessary) before I have to make the long trip back.

Mods, if I should start a new thread for this let me know.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have checked out post 21? It seems to show the fastener(s).

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have checked out post 21? It seems to show the fastener(s).

Peter

I did see that. My concern was the "business end" which was not shown in the picture. It is not your typical nut and bolt or fritction fitted fastener that I am used to seeing.
What I wasn't able to figure out in the rain of a Walmart parking lot, I was able to figure it out in a dry driveway and it stayed connected for 1200+ miles. I am hoping it was just an isolated incident (or random act of sabotage).

Hi everyone!
I'm new here :)
I just found a solution to this problem! My air dam didn't fall off, but almost after an oil change. I noticed that it was hanging because one of the 3 fasteners was missing, along with it's plastic washer that is supposed to hold it on the duct.
I took it off to see how these 1/4 turn screws were made and after hours and hours of search online.
I ended up buying part number BB5Z 00817 A on eBay from a Ford dealer in Tx.
Well, guess what? It's the right screw and I was able to re-install the whole thing without an issue :) I simply had to "create" a new plastic washer with scrap plastic I had in the garage.
Anyway, the duct is installed again and I have a spare fastener if another one falls off.

61%2BjakD5KbL._SL1200_.jpg

My air dam fell off the other day while I was driving. Luckily, the car behind me avoided it and the care behind it, hit it but did not damage it too badly. I checked and noticed the retaining clips is well worn so I ordered a package and will have the vehicle on the hoist on Monday. The retaining clips are clips that go into the frame of the car so you can parts in post #109
I talked to the parts fell at the dealer and he said that the air dam primary function is to cool the PTU. I gave him my VIN and he plugged in and found out that my 13 Sport has the transmission cooler hooked to air conditioner condenser. It may be one unit but has two separate parts. He printed out the diagram and went through it with me.
The cost to replace the air dam is 82 cad, if anyone is wondering.

I don't understand why a Sport model with tow package would need one to cool the PTU, they already have a plate bolted to the side of the PTU which is temperature regulated by the engine coolant.
The duct would just be blowing on the side of the plate?

I don't understand why a Sport model with tow package would need one to cool the PTU, they already have a plate bolted to the side of the PTU which is temperature regulated by the engine coolant.
The duct would just be blowing on the side of the plate?
For those with the Ecoboost engine, the duct is used for turbo cooling.

Peter

No, a intercooler cools the charged filtered air to the turbos.

This duct just supplies cooler air to the exterior of the turbos.

whats the Sport models dam part number

I got the clips and replaced the old ones. The part number is W716006-S439.
If your air dam becoming loose, chances are the barbs that hold the screws in place are worn. This was the case with mine.
If the barbs are still good, you can not turn the screw 360 degrees. To make sure the screws are snugged, we used a pair of pliers to tighten them. Below is a picture for comparison.
68208C33-BD4D-4ACB-ACBA-E472EE7A2822_zpsgsiqb1if.jpg

Does anyone know the part number or what the plastic splash guard (under the oil pan) is called? I am trying to locate the part from Ford parts database and can't seem to come up with anything. I've tried all kinds of search terms but get nothing.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware that there is one but then I've never been under the vehicle. There is an air intake duct that runs from the cutout in the front right bumper valance on Explorers with the tow package. It has to be removed when an oil change is done. Could that be it? Here is a picture in a previous post; Lower Air Dam Intake Falls Off - Help!! Haven't found a part number yet.

Peter

Back