Lower ball joint question

witchdoctor

Gringorican
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport, 02 Triumph S4
When having my rig aligned following spindle and tie rod replacement, I was shown that one of my lower ball joints is bad. I can see it moving up and down in the control arm.

While I know that typically the ball joints themselves can simply be replaced, I am unsure if this is the case here. I am afraid that a new ball joint will continue to move, and that the opening in the control arm has gotten too large.

Has anyone else had this problem, and successfully just replaced the ball joint, or did you have to replace the whole control arm?

I never ran into that problem. I guess the only way to find out is to take it apart and look. Worst case you will have to replace the lower control arm.

Anyone else have any insight with this?

Im not sure how it is with your truck, but I know that my 01 Sport requires replacing the control arms along with the ball joints unless you go with OEM "piece-o'-utterly-worthless-non-Zerk-fitting-throw-away-crap-so-Ford-can-make-
aload-o'-money-in-the-long-run" ball joints. My advice, which probably shouldnt be worth much lol, is to replace all of them at once along with the control arms. ~250.00-290.00 in parts and 150.00 in labor and you'll not have to worry about them again. Just my 2 cents.

Back