• Register Today It's free!

Lower ball joint removal

falls guy

Reaction score
City, State
St. Catherines, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I have a '91 4x4 X. What am I going to need to take apart in order to remove the lower ball joints? Are the axles going to have to come out? Are the ball joints pressed in and out or are they just held in with C-clips? I searched but can't seem to find instructions any where. Thanks in advance.
Peace

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything on the spindles will need to come off. The Ball joint is a press fit. You have to press out the top ball joint to remove the bottom, and vice versa to install them.

The top ball joint has a snap ring around it. You will need to remove that to get the Camber bushing out. Mark the camber bushing realitive to the knuckle so you can keep your alighnment somewhat the same.

The bottom ball joint has a CotterPin/Castle nut deal. Once you get the castle nut, BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT with a hammer. it should fall off after a minute.

Afterwards put the knuckle in a vice thats mounted to a table and have fun pressing them in and out!

a C-frame press will do the job. www.Harbor-freight.com has it $20

or rent it from NAPA for a $250 deposit.

If you want some good photos, check this out --
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/balljoints2.htm

They helped me out when I did mine. I always figure that the more info you have on a job like this, the better. If you anti lock brakes, you will also need to remove the sensor, which to the best of my memory takes a 6mm 6pt socket. I had to track down a tool truck to get one.

Thanks guys. After I got a better look at how they are, I can see that I have to take the axle shaft out. I see how the knuckle will drop down then out. For a minute I thought I had to get a ball joint out first, then pull the knuckle outward. Now I see it is much easier than that. Thanx again.
Peace

DONT try and press the ball joint out while the knuckle is still on the beam, ahha i tried it. NOT a safe procedure. that sucker exploded under pressure and sent peices of balljoint ALL over my garage.

Back