Lower ball joint replacement - can I do it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower ball joint replacement - can I do it?

fossilfool

Reaction score
City, State
Lurgan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 North Face
Hi Folks
I've put something on the existing ball joint thread as well but just wanted to start a fresh thread on this particular topic.
Mine is a year 2000 Explorer 4WD 4.0L V6 UK model.

I'm a bit confused after reading the Haynes manual, who say that only Explorers up to 1994 can have the ball joints replaced and everything after requires the entire arm be replaced. The threads on this forum seem to indicate that they can be replaced separately. I can buy ball joints separately when I enquire and mine look just like the ones in the pictures (complete with snap ring).
Are Haynes taking the easy way out? I would much prefer to replace the ball joints separately if possible and any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Barry

unhook the control arm, take off the clip , take it out, (might require a hammer ),,

put new ball joint in(might required a ball joint press, ) , put clip on, , reconnect control arm, , drive on ,,

Haynes is not always right,,
there a threads about this,, one guy even shows how to do it with a jack instead of a press,, search is the best friend,

Back