• Register Today It's free!

Lower control arm replacement?

ernaldmerican

Reaction score
City, State
schenectady New york
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I appreciate the thread for the removal and installation for the bushings and control arms. My question is where the lower control arm gets mounted to the frame with two seperate horizontal bolts, do those bolts and bushings (not sure if there are bushings there) on the lower control arm get replaced as well. I have alignment problems and am replacing both upper arms, and am trying to figure out if the lower bolts and bushings get replaced, or is it just the lower ball joint that typically gets replaced.

Normaly just the lower ball joints. You can have the bushings replaced if needed. The bolts most likely would be re-used when replacing the bushings.

Why remove the lower control arm? Typically there's nothing to be gained by doing that. You'll accomplish what you're looking to do by simply replacing the lower ball joints and the upper control arms w/integrated ball joints.

If you do have to remove the lower control arms, don't forget that you need to release the tension on the torsion bars first.

Good luck! :chug:

Thanks. I wasn't sure if your trying to do the replacement of all front end components for alignment, should you replace these bushings.

Back