• Register Today It's free!

lower control arm

randch

Reaction score
City, State
Courtland Ont.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
We just bought a 96 explorer and whom ever owned the vehicle before welded the ball joints into the lower control arm and one ball joint needs to be replaced. I imagine that the easiest to do this would be to replace the hole lower but I'm not sure how hard it would be to change it. I know nothing about the torsion bar that is on this vehicle. Could someone give me some advise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently, this is a common problem- the sockets that hold the ball joint get too big and after a number of replacements no longer hold the ball joint.

To remove the LCA, you'll have to let the pressure off of the torsion bars, it can be a dangerous task, the energy stored in those bars is very powerful and can get away from you in a hurry. When you remove the torsion bars, index mark both ends so that they go back the same way.

Once the bars are removed, the LCA's are easy to remove, just two bolts, the shock, sway bar link and knuckle. Finding a quality LCA may be a trick in itself.

EDIT: Check in here for some "how to's" on the front suspension: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1784849

Once the bars are removed, the LCA's are easy to remove, just two bolts, the shock, sway bar link and knuckle. Finding a quality LCA may be a trick in itself.

I guess it depends on how you define quality, but you can get new Ford LCA's from Fast Parts Network for around $90 a side. That includes the new lower ball joints and bushings.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=318&chapter=&Sectionids=19,2512&groupid=61005&subgroupid=0&componentid=0&make=10&model=Explorer&year=1996&graphicID=T028060&callout=7&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

I agree, MountaineerGreen. I was surprised when I looked up the price.

For that matter, I'd replace both control arms. And yes, I also second the recommendation to use Moog joints.

Back