• Register Today It's free!

Lower grille cutout?

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
What's the cutout for on the passenger side of the black lower grill trim? I though it was weird that it was only on one side, which made it asymmetrical when looking at the car from the front, but never really thought much about it. That lower black trim had to be replaced when my wife hit a rock. The replacement does not have that cutout, and I like the symmetrical look better. But why was it there in the first place? If it supposed to be there, should I be concerned that the replacement part doesn't have it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly tow hook spot, or for a tie down during transport? That's what it sounds like. But I have no clue...mine's a little bit older that yours. haha

On my '13, that cutout lines up with the air scoop that directs air to the back of the engine.

On my '13, that cutout lines up with the air scoop that directs air to the back of the engine.

That makes sense. It did look like an air scoop. Do all Explorers have that? Should I be concerned that mine is now covered up?

That cut out with the duct work behind it is part of the Class III Trailer Tow Package. I made sure it was there when my '13 Limited arrived !
'Not sure if it exists w/o that package!

David

That cut out with the duct work behind it is part of the Class III Trailer Tow Package. I made sure it was there when my '13 Limited arrived !
'Not sure if it exists w/o that package!

I guess it's part of the oil cooling system that comes with the tow package? Mine does have the tow package, so I'm a little concerned the the duct isn't getting air anymore. I wonder if they make a separate trim piece with that section cutout or if the body shop was supposed to cut the part before putting it on the car.

Uh Oh, maybe the body shop put the wrong piece down there? That duct has to have a clear shot at incoming air. If they goofed, don't let them just take a jigsaw to it. Get the correct piece installed!

David

Uh Oh, maybe the body shop put the wrong piece down there? That duct has to have a clear shot at incoming air. If they goofed, don't let them just take a jigsaw to it. Get the correct piece installed!

David

Ugh. I guess I'll have to give them a call. Do you know if there are other parts that are different with the tow package? They replaced the radiator too. Could that be different?

They had the rig for 3 weeks, so I'm really not looking forward to giving it back to them. Apparently, the radar unit in the front bumper is hard to come by. That's why they had it for so long.

That's a good question. I'm not sure if the oil cooler is part of the radiator, (like some transmittion / ac coolers are). One would think that a heavy duty radiator would be part of the tow pkg. There are a lot of knowledgeable members in this forum, you should be hearing from them shortly!

David

I called the Dealer/Body Shop that did the repairs to inquire. They had to call Ford to go through the parts list. They confirmed that the radiator they put in was the correct one for vehicles with the tow package, but the lower valance and lower grill were for vehicles without the tow package. They've ordered the correct parts, so I'll have to take it back in when they arrive to have them swapped out. They said that the correct parts are substantially more expensive than the parts they used. I'm not sure why it would be more expensive to have a cutout in the valence? Not sure what's different about the lower grill that's above the valence. Maybe the vented section is bigger?

I called the Dealer/Body Shop that did the repairs to inquire. They had to call Ford to go through the parts list. They confirmed that the radiator they put in was the correct one for vehicles with the tow package, but the lower valance and lower grill were for vehicles without the tow package. They've ordered the correct parts, so I'll have to take it back in when they arrive to have them swapped out. They said that the correct parts are substantially more expensive than the parts they used. I'm not sure why it would be more expensive to have a cutout in the valence? Not sure what's different about the lower grill that's above the valence. Maybe the vented section is bigger?
The lower valance, part #17626 is $150.73 for a vehicle without tow and $210.47 with class III tow. The front bumper cover, part #17D957A is $255.50 w/o fog lights and $329.92 with fogs. There doesn't seem to be a second choice with this part. The front bumper cover grill insert, part #17K945 is $45.47, for tow pkg. Only about $1 more than insert for non tow.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2012&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

Peter

The lower valance, part #17626 is $150.73 for a vehicle without tow and $210.47 with class III tow. The front bumper cover, part #17D957A is $255.50 w/o fog lights and $329.92 with fogs. There doesn't seem to be a second choice with this part. The front bumper cover grill insert, part #17K945 is $45.47, for tow pkg. Only about $1 more than insert for non tow.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2012&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

Peter

Thanks for that. It looks like the lower valence and the grill insert are the only parts they got wrong. It's strange that multiple versions of these parts have the same part number. No wonder they can get them wrong.

The radiator they used is the one with the oil cooler and without the transmission power take off. I guess that's the right one for the tow package?

What the heck is the "transmission power take off" for the radiator, (above) ??? I've heard of a PTO for tractors, etc. But for a RADIATOR ??? !!! Maybe I am reading it wrong ?

What the heck is the "transmission power take off" for the radiator, (above) ??? I've heard of a PTO for tractors, etc. But for a RADIATOR ??? !!! Maybe I am reading it wrong ?

You're not reading it wrong. No idea what it is though.

Funny...I just experienced the exact opposite regarding the lower bumper valence. My new 2013 Explorer doesn't have the tow package, and the body shop installed the valence with the cutout in it. They've ordered a new valence without the cutout and are putting that in today or Tuesday.

Funny...I just experienced the exact opposite regarding the lower bumper valence. My new 2013 Explorer doesn't have the tow package, and the body shop installed the valence with the cutout in it. They've ordered a new valence without the cutout and are putting that in today or Tuesday.
I guess that is the one problem with having an identical part number for an item that itself has two different models. If the techs don't look closely and notice that, then it isn't surprising that mistakes will be made.:eek:

Peter

We could trade:)

You should have them double check the lower grill insert as well since that's also a different part.

I guess that is the one problem with having an identical part number for an item that itself has two different models. If the techs don't look closely and notice that, then it isn't surprising that mistakes will be made.:eek:

Peter

Yeah, I don't understand how they can have different parts with the same part number. This must happen all the time.

When looking under the front bumper of the Sport on the passenger side, is there a piece of what looks like a air intact exposed there. The reason I ask is because I hit a small animal last night and I am not sure if that area was exposed or something broke off there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When looking under the front bumper of the Sport on the passenger side, is there a piece of what looks like a air intact exposed there. The reason I ask is because I hit a small animal last night and I am not sure if that area was exposed or something broke off there.
Not having a Sport or having looked at one up close, the best I can offer is the following link. Not sure if you can tell from the pictures;

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-ford-explorer-sport-3/

It looks like all there is from the front is an opening to the air duct.

Peter

Back