Lower grille cutout? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower grille cutout?

This is what it looks like directly.

IMG-20130605-00005.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what it looks like directly.
I'm sure that with that picture, another Sport owner could verify if that looks right or if something is out of alignment. Let's hope for the best.

Peter

that looks normal. If you stick your head under the bumper you can see that scoop just goes to the rear turbo to cool the turbo housing since that one is tucked pretty far back there, unlike the front one that can get some airflow.

The opening on passenger side front bumper is supposed to be there. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but it, I believe, is the air intake for the transmission cooler which comes with the tow package. Whoops think Harley has it right for turbo cooling.

Can't tell perspective in that pic, but "scoop" should be a couple inches behind bumper opening.
In that pic, it almost looks like they're touching?

terrible cell phone pic - but does this help ?

maybe zoom in with CTRL-+

Attachments

• front intake.JPG
    front intake.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,236

The opening on passenger side front bumper is supposed to be there. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but it, I believe, is the air intake for the transmission cooler which comes with the tow package. Whoops think Harley has it right for turbo cooling.
The OP was wondering if he damaged it when he hit something. Comparing it to the other posted picture, it does look like the actual intake is sticking out a bit further.
This opening/air duct is on all Sport models regardless of whether they have the tow package or not as you found out. It is to help cool the turbo.

Peter

Go to nearest ford dealer and check out another sport.

I can tell you that scoop is not moving. It's extremely rigid, and has to sustain high temps because it directly mounts to the turbo housing. If it appears closer to the bumper it's most likely an optical illusion from the photo. You'd have to back over the animal to move it forward, and at that it would break off, it can't move around. Going forward hitting something you'd have to bend the valance back to get closer to the scoop, so if there's no valance damage, there's no scoop damage.

here's another view taken from a +- 15 degree offset toward the passenger side:

Attachments

• aiIntake.jpg
    aiIntake.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,173

here's another view taken from a +- 15 degree offset toward the passenger side:

okay, lay down and look up at the scoop and the bumper.
There should be a gap between them.
They pics (probably an optical illusion) make it look like the scoop is almost touching the bumper.

Yes thats the Power Transfer Unit cooler duct that pushes the cold air onto the PTU.

Mine is 4 inches back from the front bumper facia cutout.

Only vehicles with TOW package or SPORT get it.

What happens if water fills it up. I have yet to see my wife swerve away from a pool of water

You have to be going through 6" of water to get the scoop submerged. and it's not an air inlet at all, it just channels air to the rear turbo to cool the housing.

Water will cool it off sooner :) :) :)

If the channel goes up as high as I think it does, you'd have to be going QUITE fast to push water up that high !

and fyi, none of my previous turbo vehicles had an issue with water getting into the intakes - in fact, I installed a water/meth system on one of the turbo deezles - lowered egt's and boosted hp a LOT... don't be skeered

why there is a hole under front-left bumper

Hi there,

May I know what's this - there is a hole under front-left bumper 2013 Ford Explorer Limited.
2i9t3dj.jpg

And a slot opened behind it, which is extend to the Main Body.

Thanks in advance.

Leon

been posted several times in the forum, just use the search button next time. thats an air scoop to cool the engine. its for those who have tow package.

On the sport model as shown it feeds into a tube that is directed onto the rear turbo for cooling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there,

May I know what's this - there is a hole under front-left bumper 2013 Ford Explorer Limited.
And a slot opened behind it, which is extend to the Main Body.

Thanks in advance.

Leon
Welcome to the Forum 13 Explorer LTD.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. The picture you posted is the Sport and in that model the duct channels the air to help cool the turbos. In other models it is commonly found on those that have the tow package to direct air to the back of the engine for added cooling.
Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Back