Lower intake gasket leaking after replacing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower intake gasket leaking after replacing?

CTroxtell

Reaction score
City, State
High Point Area, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EB 304k and counting
I think my lower intake gasket is leaking after I replaced it about 6 months ago...think it kept leaking after replacing but it seems worse now. My engine don't run right, has a hard time accelerating, my #5 plug is wet, my antifreeze is disappearing. This sound about like a leaking gasket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean lower intake gasket? I have the metal one, the other design seems to be prone to failure. Did you put rtv at the ends in the corners?
Do a compression test as well and go from there.

Yeah that's what I meant, thanks for catching that. Yeah we put rtv on it but that new paper gasket I'm guessing just didn't seal correctly. Will get around and do a compression test, I went from 350 miles a tank a gas to <250 miles. Only time it accelerates fine is downhill other then that it struggles big time and you can smell the excess gas in the cab...part of its probably since one of the silicone egr tubes melted and blew off.

Maybe there was some old gasket material left, do you know if you were able to get it really clean?

Its possible, my father in law helped me replace it..he went to automechanic school but anyone can make a small mistake. I will get to tear it back apart by myself this time since my father in law has since passed away. Thanks

It may be a cracked head. How many miles do you have on your X? Is there coolant in your oil?

Its got 261k miles on it, not sure about coolant in the oil. How would I find that out? My rear main seal leaks pretty good so I just keep adding oil. When I get out of the vehicle I can usually smell a sweet gas smell so I was guessing the coolant and gas were getting mixed and fouling out a plug.

Pull your dip stick and see if there's any milkyness to the oil. Check under your oil fill cap for the same milkyness. Next time you change your oil check it out. You may have to let it sit for the water and oil to seperate.

You may have a bad fuel injector/oring leaking causing the gas oder. You also might want to check your filler neck for the gas tank. If you look up under the fender were the filler neck is and inspect were the hose is clamped onto the filler neck. It may be swallen from age and need replaced.

Pulled the dipstick and looked under oil cap, both have same dark colored oil. Gas filler neck is securely connected. How would I kinow about a bad injector? Last time I pulled the plugs the middle driver side plug was wet, didn't appear to be gas or oil. My mileage is odd I have been getting about 14mpg then all of a sudden it can run right and I will get 18 or better. So its like something works then stops working...over the past few days its gotten even worse. It struggles to accelerate especially uphill and even on level ground you can hear the engine "miss" I guess I would call it. If you listen to the exhaust it sounds like it runs fine then makes a puff puff sound every few seconds..perhaps a valve not sealing. My poor X lol

Back