Wanted - Lower intake manifold bolts replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Lower intake manifold bolts replacement

Parts or services wanted

YBCold

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ×∟┬
right so today i was re installing my lower intake but one of my lower intake bolts broke. so i have a peice of it stuck in the engine. but now i need a replacement like the one in the pictures . also when i removed my exhuast manifold one of my manifold bolts bent out of shape. ive asked everywhere for replacements and nobody has them so in theory could i just take a torch and bend it back into shape?? the dealer wanted 280 USD for replacement exhuast manifold bolts! i only need one replacement lower intake but if you have the set i will buy them or if u can tell me where to obtain them please.

0127111505a.jpg

0127111507.jpg

0127111508.jpg

0127111513.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My self I would try a wrecker first being you only need on and that way you could pick up an extra one in case and any other small parts you may need now or down the line that you can think of. Cost little just some time and gas for the most part.

k then ill see if the junk yard will do bizness that way. the boneyard i goto u have to ask for parts. regular people arent allowed on the premisis but i had an aquintance so ill hit them up then. thanks for the input

can anyone ID the thread size and stuff so i can go get some new ones possibly?

I belive they were 10mm just take it to home depot and match it up.

I belive they were 10mm just take it to home depot and match it up.

HD and lowes sell alot of junk though. im guessing from the markings on it its a grade 8 bolt. i know they have some but not alot ima touch bases there first. Autozone , CSK dont have them as manifold botls they might have some in their misc hardwares stuff maybe?

There are at least 2 or 3 Fastenal stores in Vegas..... Stop by one of them. Good stuff

That is a grade 8.8 metric bolt, they will have what you need.

HD and lowes sell alot of junk though. im guessing from the markings on it its a grade 8 bolt. i know they have some but not alot ima touch bases there first. Autozone , CSK dont have them as manifold botls they might have some in their misc hardwares stuff maybe?

FYI: A metric 8.8 bolt is approximately equal to a grade5 standard. A 10.9 metric is about the same as a grade8 standard.

You can get Metric 8.8 bolts all day at a lot of hardware stores. The trouble is trying to get a flange head the same as the factory ones. You can throw a washer on there and it'll do, but sometimes the flange head is what keeps 'em tight.

Most cities have a few fastener places, look in the yellow pages under fasteners, or search online. Fastenal usually can get stuff, and there are usually plenty of independent industrial supply places that do hardware. They aren't cheap, but you can get a lot of stuff for what just one new bolt costs from the dealer.

Otherwise the suggestion for used is good, get a bunch so you have spares. Though there is something to be said for replacing old bolts that have been through 100-200,000 miles of heat and cold.

thanks for the tips ill look into it tomorrow.

right so today i went down to lowes and purchsed some grade 8 bolts. theyre hex cap. but upon closer inspection theyre not the same. the threaded portion on the oldies is longer but the bolt itself is actually shorter than the new ones.

0212111348.jpg

either way looks like advanced auto has it. the thread is m8-1.25 and 4 inches which equates to 101.6 mm and i found a replacement thats 110 so its a bit longer. :( and hex cap also the next shortest is 90mm or could be 5/16 24 X4. so a fine thread 5/16

went to the junk yard today and they didnt have it either. all the cars there have the engines pulled out. :(

Stop wasting your time at the junkyard. Home Depot will have what you need, just look harder. How do I know? Because I bought several of them (the exhaust manifold bolts) when I recently replaced my left manifold, on my '93 Ranger. It's better that they are slightly shorter, rather then too long, as they will bottom out before they are tight, if they are too long. I would highly recommend using a thread chaser on the bolt holes in the head, make sure all the rust/gunk is out, so you get an accurate feel when you tighten them down.

You can also try a Sears Hardware store (not the regular Sears, but one of the stand alone hardware stores.) The one by me has an awesome selection of "oddball" hardware of all kinds, including flanged bolts common on automotive applications. I saw things there that had me trying to dream up a use for it, just so I could use them.

k thanks yeah i havent sized the exahuast yet. fastenal has a hex cap grade 8. the one i got at lowes is coarse thread im going to look for a sears hardware store, just did a search for sears hardware there arent any on the west coast. ill see if a machine shop can just get me some some how

Order them from the Fastenal website, I just found them, just like yours in a variety of finishes and strengths. They are like $3.00.

Edit: Actually, what I would do is get a true metric ruler and take accurate measurements, then call Fastenal directly.

They are definitely metric; I remember that, and fine thread. I definitely bought them at Home Depot too. They were in the "specialty fastener" draws, not in the hanging bags, or the open bins. They didn't have the "flanged" ones though, so I ended up using washers. Just make sure you get the thick washers, as they won't distort. I believe they call them "cut washers" Also, bring one of each length of the old ones with you. You can check the thread there, with the little thread checker gadget they have, or just try various size nuts, until you find what fits, then use that to find the bolts.

These things are obtainable. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there is no need to have to order them off a website.

either way looks like advanced auto has it. the thread is m8-1.25 and 4 inches which equates to 101.6 mm and i found a replacement thats 110 so its a bit longer. :( and hex cap also the next shortest is 90mm or could be 5/16 24 X4. so a fine thread 5/16

First off. They are metric, stop using standard measurements. You will never find a bolt that is m8x1.25 x 4"! Measure it in metric and you dont need to convert anything.

Second, your pic shows that you are measuring them wrong. The length is the thread and shank only, the head is not included in the length. The first bolt you showed looks to be 90mm long, but its hard to tell for sure.

length-hex-bolt.gif

From the pic, i would say its a m8 x 1.25 x 90mm class 8.8 (metric property class 8.8, not US grade 8.).

ok thanks for clarifying that. i just remeasured its 94 mm if u exclude the the head and just measure the shank all the way down to the bottom of threads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back