Lower Intake Manifold sealing solutions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Intake Manifold sealing solutions

tombstone

Reaction score
City, State
Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
After reading countless complaints with the Ford 4.0l lower intake manifold sealing solutions , I found out from FelPro techs that everyone suggests using RTV (Permatex Ultra-Black or other) around all the water jacket ports on both sides of a "carrier-style" gasket OEM F5TZ-9439-A & MS-90728; which will cause an improper sealing problem. Please note:

upload_2019-7-28_8-10-32.jpeg
Equally important, the intake manifold and head surfaces must be clean (no grease, oil or coolant film) and dry. RTV, other sealants or adhesives should not be used around the coolant or intake ports on carrier-style gaskets. ... New intake manifold bolts are recommended.

I agree. I never use any sealant on the rubberized gaskets.

It's not surprising people try to RTV a gasket. However, I don't know why you want to add another layer that could leak when, if you have a proper sealing surface, a standard gasket is more than enough. Ditto on not putting RTV on any rubber gasket.
I actually got a lower intake gasket from Mahle that was all one piece. Very easy install.

RTV only in the corners where the valley meets the heads....just like the instructions say!!
I like the one piece gasket from mahle or victor reinz also

Fel pro continues to develop better and better gaskets as time goes on...unfortunatley its getting harder and harder to get Fel pro gaskets for our "old" 4.0 pushrod and 5.0 pushrod engines

Back