• Register Today It's free!

Lower intake manifold

ilikecheese

Reaction score
City, State
Superior wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
Im replacing the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets becouse of a leak on the upper I just got the upper intake off and am now ready to remove the lower but I dont lnow where to start or what has to be removed im.feeling alittle overwhelmed can anyone point me to the next step

20190813_153532.jpg

I have the 4.0 and you have the 5.0, but it looks to me like you're pretty much done. Disconnect the fuel injector electrical connections, unbolt the lower intake manifold bolts, and lift off. You may need to gently persuade the lower intake manifold to come loose. Use a rubber mallet and a piece of 2x4 to break the seal if necessary. A few taps should do it.

I have the 4.0 and you have the 5.0, but it looks to me like you're pretty much done. Disconnect the fuel injector electrical connections, unbolt the lower intake manifold bolts, and lift off. You may need to gently persuade the lower intake manifold to come loose. Use a rubber mallet and a piece of 2x4 to break the seal if necessary. A few taps should do it.
Thank you kind forum member

the valve covers have to come off on both sides.
Both fuel lines need to be disconnected
Unplug the wiring from the injectors CAREFULLY do not want to break the wiring clips. I use a small tiny screwdriver and just pull straight up.
You need to disconnect or remove the metal water jacket and lines that feed the heater core

I usually remove the whole fuel rail and injectors
I also remove the water lines completely
Then you will be left with just the lower intake manifold to deal with and nothing else bolted to it, makes it ALOT easier to handle.
You are almost there.
Before you go much further cover up the ports so you do not drop anything into the engine and use some compressed air or a vacuum to clean up around the top of the engine. When you pull the valve covers and lower intake you do not want a bunch of dirt and debris in your lifter valley

Back