lower or upper control arm ball joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lower or upper control arm ball joints

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
anyone had to change out their lower or upper control ball arms?
just want to see which is more likely to go out most often...the lower or upper ball joints? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about anyone else, but I've replaced my lower ball joints twice so far and I'll have to do it a third time soon. Probably go with a heavier duty lower this time around. I haven't had to replace the uppers yet.

did you just switch out the lower ball joint or did you do the entire lower control arm?

I replaced the entire upper control arm on mine, and just pressed in a new lower ball joint. You'd have to remove the torsion arm to replace the lower arm which would be a p.i.t.a. in my opinion. This thread really helped me when I did mine.

i actually only bought upper control arms...not sure if my lower ball joints are bad yet. I spoke to a few others who only had issues with their upper ball joints. Do you do off road driving?

I don't do any crazy off-road. Mainly just to get to kayak spots, on the beach, and on some bird/deer leases. I'd go ahead and do the lowers while you've got everything apart, just to make it easier and save a headache down the road.

did you just switch out the lower ball joint or did you do the entire lower control arm?

Like jmmorgan82 said, it's easier to just replace the ball joint. I borrowed the press from Autozone and swapped them out really quick.

okay i ordered the lower ball joint as well...
so if I'm replacing the upper control arm and the lower ball joint... which should i remove first? i know somewhere in the procedure, a jack needs to raise the tie rod...i think...

thanks. I just received the upper control arms. I'm a little confused. Shouldn't the ball joint inside the control arms already have grease in them? or am I suppose to put grease in them myself?

I read it might be better to leave them as they are. Anyone know the torque settings for these parts?

darn, i think i ordered the wrong lower ball joint online.... is it suppose to be regular size (K8695T) or oversized (K8695T006) for a 2001 sport trac?

You should be fine with the regular size if it's never been out before. The over-sized is for when it's been changed a few times or was really bad and wore the hole larger. You won't know for sure until it's removed.
http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en1/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_29009_K8695T006_En.pdf
..yes, grease your new ball joints.

oz16us, in addition to the how-to's, information, and knowledgeable folks on this site. There are lots of great youtube videos on this repair. I suggest you watch all of them them a few times before doing this. Also, invest in a Haynes manual or Ford workshop manual. All the torque specs are in there and will help you with most of your concerns.
I personally research until I'm 100% confident before doing any repairs I haven't done before.
I'll try to remember get you those torque specs. But, I'm at work tonight.

Found this on a post from another forum:

Originally Posted by Bill MacLeod
The following is from a 99 shop manual for 4x4 (all in ft.lb):
Lower b/j nut - 83 to 112
Hub to knuckle - 74 to 96
Pinch bolt - 35 to 46
Hub nut - 157 to 213
Upper ctrl arm bolts/nuts - 83 to 112
Sway bar end link nuts - 25 to 34

Thanks for the torque settings :)
So I had no choice but to order both the regular and oversized ball joints. I plan to return whichever one doesn't fit, but will this mean I will have to press then into place voiding returning them or can I just eyeball the correct ball joint?

Back