Lower steering shaft no longer available from For | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower steering shaft no longer available from For

jbbrandt

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport & 95 Eddie Bour
I thought the power steering was going out. But the rubber boots on the steering shaft down by the rack and pinion have disintegrated on my 95 Explorer. A quick call to my Ford dealer "no longer available” and he said $500 when it was available. The rubber boots themselves were never available. You'll see in the photos the replacement shaft rubber boots are bad. The steering boots From the outer ends of the rack and pinion, available for approximately $6 will stretch over. I used a piece of PVC pipe cut at a 45° angle to slip over the caller above the knuckle to attach the rubber boot with the hose clamp. There was a little whole that a breathing tube hooks onto down on the rack I just filled with silicone. /Users/JohnsPlace/Desktop/100_9699.jpg Whoops don't know how to insert pics when I drag them over for my desktop all I get is some writing./Users/JohnsPlace/Desktop/100_9701.jpg

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/t...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I found one at a local junkyard. Got it for cheap. I had to lose the boot though because it was hitting my headers.

Posting pics, you will need something like photobucket and them copy the "IMG" link onto here.

Lower steering shaft

Ok so Ford looked at my truck yesterday, and said my lower steering shaft was shot. But of course the new one is no longer avail. They gave me the part number to try to find one myself. Now i remember years ago, i bought some parts for vehicles that came from a different year make model and company of other vehicles. Is there any other truck out there in the world that would have a lower steering shaft, that would fit a 1995 ford explorer xlt?? I was hoping there would be an aftermarket piece i could buy from a parts store. But i dont know exactly what name of the piece i should type in. The part i need is"f77z3b676ea". Any ideas other than a junk yard?? Orrrrr,..can I replace the whole drive shaft?

Back