Lowering a 1991 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering a 1991 Ford Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
Ok everyone, I am new to this site and just recently bought a 91 explorer xlt. now i did do some searching didnt come across much for what im lookin for. i found ways to lower the newer explorers but not the older ones.
does anyone know a way to lower the 91 explorer? or where to buya kit for one? maybe even airbag kits?
im not on here to have people post about its not worth the time money ect, im strictly here for information on how and where to buy the stuff to do, cuz i dont care what other people sayy about lowering the 91's.
so if there is any one out there that knows how or can help with information at all, please let me know.

email - kaotiklivin4eva@aim.com
AIM - kaotiklivin4eva
thank you!~

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in the rear all you need to do is go get some lift blocks.

here is a site for rangers but the 83-97 all use the same front setup as the 91 explorer.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Drop.html

Thanks for the info first of all. second i took a look at the site
1983-1997 4-inch rear 4-inch hangers and shackles, lowered shock absorbers
1983-1997 4-inch front Dropped I-beam axles, lowering springs, lowered shock absorbers

and they are the 2 i would like to get, will that work for the 91 explorer? id like to get 3-4 inch drop. and that seems like the best ones. thanks again.

You don't need the rear kit. The X uses a different rear suspension than the Ranger, but the front is close enough that the parts are interchangable. One question, your X is 2wd? If it isn't the parts won't work and a 4wd can't be lowered more than about 1-1.5 inches before you develope serious clearance issues.

mine is the 4 wheel drive.. hmm...

so just drop it 1.5 inches. or sell it and buy a 2wd. i bet the 2wd explorers are cheeper then the 4x4 ones so you could use the extra money on the lowering kit

Good idea.. know anyone wants a 4 wheel drive explorer? needs inspected though.

I was going to lower my 4wd after puttin the 20s on but realized it would be too much of a pain so ive got the parts sitting in my garage haha

If it's 4WD, the lowest you can go is about 2 inches, using the Eibach lowering springs in the front, an alignment, and either blocks or de-arched springs in the rear. If you want it slammed, yeah, it's gotta be a 2WD. If it's not worth it to get rid of the Explorer, just lower it 2 inches and put on some 18-20 inch rims with those "all terrain" looking low profile street tires. It might look pretty cool.

I think I may just try and sell it see if it sells, if not I will just keep it the way it is and use it to tow the other vehicles I buy. I have 8 cars at the moment and Im always looking for new projects. Thanks everyone for your help and quick responses. I have always wanted to drop an explorer so I will probably buy a 2wd soon! :-D

Cant you just remove the front driveshaft and replace the front axle with the dropped i beams... wait but then you would also have to get some two wheel drive knuckles and what not. I dont know it might not be that hard if you can find some at a junkyard

Cant you just remove the front driveshaft and replace the front axle with the dropped i beams... wait but then you would also have to get some two wheel drive knuckles and what not. I dont know it might not be that hard if you can find some at a junkyard

Thanks for that info, has anyone else ever done that? i dont wanna go through all the trouble of gettin the stuff and then it wouldnt work anyway.

Back