lowering a 1996 ext. cab ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowering a 1996 ext. cab ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Belton Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mountaineer
I just wanted to say i know this is not a explore but very close. so from that i have a friend who wants to drop his ranger as much as possible like a 5/4 or close to that and i do not know of any way or any compaines so any help would be great. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IDK about the front, but the rear has spring over axle. You could do Spring Under Axle or buy lowering springs for the rear. Good luck

DJM i-beams will give you 3" in the front, and their flip kit will give about 5 inches in the back. You can then add 1" or 2" springs in the front and use blocks in the rear if you need it lower.

www.stylinconcepts.com, do not buy chassis tech they have a very bad rep. go with DJM dream beams 3"($200-$300) then find a set of 2" springs($70-$100), then buy a flip kit for the rear($50) and a set of 2" blocks($20), and a set of four toxic shocks($130), and you will have a slammed (5-7 drop ) rangerthat rides like crap, i had a 98 that was lowered 6-7, it was sitting on the bumpstops and the shocks didn't do anything but it was alot of fun and actally handled decently.of course my tires looked like this / \ . hmm thats about the right angle lol.

Do not buy Toxic shocks. Spend a couple more bucks and get some Doestch Techs, or spring for the Edelbrocks or a nice set of Tokicos. On a lowered application, the right shock can make a huge difference. With the beams and flip kit, you should right about like stock, except for much better handling. The drop springs add some stiffness and greatly reduce your suspension travel in the front, so you really need good shocks and probably should also trim the bumpstops about an inch. For the rear, you're OK with the flip kit, but if you add ANY blocks you'll have to c-notch the frame or else you'll be hitting the bumpstops alot.

I agree that I'd go for the DJM stuff over the Chassis Tech stuff, its cheaper and better. Unfortunately, Chassis Tech is all that's made for my Ex.:(

not sure if you listed this or not... but if its a 4x4 and not a 4x2 you cant lower it that much!

if its a 4x2, then get the front beams, lowered springs, camber bushings to correct the negative camber, and the flip kit and possibly blocks for the rear...

Back