Lowering a 98 Mounty 5.0 AWD. Any help appreciated! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering a 98 Mounty 5.0 AWD. Any help appreciated!

ukdal1

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys!

I am going to lower my Mounty and I guess the question I had was is it ok to lower an AWD?

Let me see if I got this right: Lower the front by adjusting the torsion bars and use a shackle and block kit on the back (or do I even need blocks?) and get an alignment. Is that all? Also, I just put on new shocks on the front. They should be ok, right?

When I lowered me 97 Ranger a few years ago I didn't use blocks. We just put the leafs on the bottom of the rear axle and ghetto lowered the front. Thank God I don't have to do that on this one. That Ranger rode like a tank.

I found some good write ups on here but any tips would GREATLY be appreciated. Thanks!

you might have been better off starting this in the Seriously Lowered Explorer part of the forum. im sure you will get some help here, but probably get more in the lowered section. just my .02, sorry.

you might have been better off starting this in the Seriously Lowered Explorer part of the forum. im sure you will get some help here, but probably get more in the lowered section. just my .02, sorry.

Sorry!! I didn't know there was one :D Thanks for the tip!! Any chance a moderator could move it for me? Thanks!

Back