• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

lowering factory control arms?

foolio

Reaction score
City, State
garden city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ranger
well since there is no drop spindles for the explorer "except the guy modifying stock ones for alot of money" what about hacking up the lower control arms to raise the ball joint. seen it done on other trucks but never on a torsion bar truck that i can recall. i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work and/or be a safety issue but wanted to see if maybe im missing something that would cause a problem. by the way i am talking about doing it on a 2wd so no cv shafts in the way to worry about. heres an article mini truckin did a while back on a coil sprung ranger to show what i am talking about.
http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/...on_2001_ford_ranger_control_arm/photo_11.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

cleancutranger

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
lol yeah i seen the same thing and tried it, only i narrowed mine 2" also. not sure if me raising and narrowing the arms was what was wrong but i can personally say mine rode like
CRAP!!!! It felt like it had a see saw affect like the truck wanted to roll over on itself, albeit it didn't have a swaybar or shocks only bags but no matter, I put some factory arms back on and it was good...

foolio

Reaction score
City, State
garden city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ranger
when you put the factory arms back on did you also still have no shocks or sway bar? the reason i started thinking about this is because i didnt wanna ruin the ride by messsing with the torsion bar. i thought in theory it should ride and handle like stock. also why and how did you narrow yours?

cleancutranger

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I narrowed it to try to compensate for the camber curve, I just cut the front of the control arm with the ball joint off and cut 1 3/4" off the length of the control arm then replated and gussetted it with 1/4" plate and again it was a failure... I can say that if you raise the lower balljoint, it will make the upper control arm have a different angle, which changes the camber curve drastically, but on a static dropped truck it may not be that noticeable...

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
that one in the article looks scary to me, he only gusseted the lower side , but not the top,,

foolio

Reaction score
City, State
garden city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ranger
that one in the article looks scary to me, he only gusseted the lower side , but not the top,,
yeah i planned to gusset the top if i did it, and with being 2wheel drive torsion bar i could gusset the heck out of the top because there is nothing to interfere with it.

foolio

Reaction score
City, State
garden city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ranger
I narrowed it to try to compensate for the camber curve, I just cut the front of the control arm with the ball joint off and cut 1 3/4" off the length of the control arm then replated and gussetted it with 1/4" plate and again it was a failure... I can say that if you raise the lower balljoint, it will make the upper control arm have a different angle, which changes the camber curve drastically, but on a static dropped truck it may not be that noticeable...
i wonder if narrowing it is what made it unstable, i realise the top arm would be angled more but it would be the same as if i unloaded the torsion bar for a drop. i just would really like to lower it a bit and plan to tow with it so i dont know if "unloading" the torsion bar would be the best thing for towing. "if only they made production drop spindles for these d@mn things!"

cleancutranger

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I am sure that narrowing it and raising it did make a much bigger difference than just raising it, but anytime you move pivot points it changes the suspension, like i already stated it would raise the angle on the upper control arm, which changes the instant center of the front suspension and causes the steering rack to be out of alignment with the control arms.
I have looked into a set of custom made dropped spindles but they are $750 plus he needs a set of your spindles in the mean time...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Lowering my 91 explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
B Lowering torsion bar HELP Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 13
B Lowering blocks install question Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
K Installed lowering keys... now leans to the right Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
M Lowering 2nd Gen - Front Bump Stops Question - also shocks ? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
M Lowering 2000 Limited with rear air supension - Ride Height Calibration Question Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
S Lowering 2000 explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
N Lowering 04 Explorer 4x4 Wagon Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
R Lowering Shackles Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 12
1 Advice needed about lowering blocks! Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 6
L Lowering a 2007 Explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
J 98 explorer sport lowering blocks question Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
H Details on lowering kits for my 99' Mercury Mountaineer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
8 lowering kits for 2nd gen explorers? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
E Canuck Motorsports lowering springs installed Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
D Lowering quick struts. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
R 02 XLS Lowering for performance, not looks. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
S Lowering the front end. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
9 1st gen x lowering help Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
A lowering the 2nd gen 4x4 Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
J Lowering my Explorer. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 6
S lowering front and back w/ a week in between. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
A Lowering Explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
A 01 lowering kit????? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
DeadlySteve Lowering Gen 1 4x4 ... Lots of Q's! Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
S Lowering an 05 AWD V8 Mount Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
U Lowering a 98 Mounty 5.0 AWD. Any help appreciated! Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
F need help lowering a 1997 4x4 Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
D Lowering a 2001 Sport Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
F lowering ?s Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
P Lowering via Torsion Twist Questions. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
O Lowering my 99 Sport Explorer. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
T Lowering my 00' Mounty. A few questions... Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 7
R please help! lowering 06 explorer/mountaineer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
9 New Sticky Needed :TT Lowering the front Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
O Will I need an alignment after lowering blocks? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
D Lowering first Gen Explorer. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 28
O Lowering blocks...what is the actual drop? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
R Lowering 2002 XLT Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
O Lowering 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
B Lowering keys Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 34
A lowering first gen 4x4? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 11
B Finally the time has come.... lowering. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
M Lowering a 3rd Gen Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
M some info on lowering Q's about ranchos Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 7
Turdle Lowering a 95-01 ( torsion bar front) explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
4 93 bauer 2wd Lowering question Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
M Help with lowering 97 Monty AWD Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
D lowering my x Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
H lowering the front of my 2000 x Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2