• Register Today It's free!

Lowering front torsion bars

Shovel67

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
My street rod has a 1998 Explorer 2wd chassis. I have backed out the torsion bar adjustment bolt all the way and would like another 2 inch drop. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get lowering spindles. The ride is going to be very poor because you are near full droop with the bolts all the way out.

Find lowering keys, which are the torsion bar keys that adjust the tension. There are 3-4 different versions of the keys, the xis sided hole is located slightly differently between them. The later Rangers and Sport Tracs have keys that have a higher range of adjustment, the 95-01 Explorers have the standard keys. I have used the lowering keys twice in my trucks, they bring the range down around 3" from the standard keys. The last pair I got was from eBay, for about $45. They are easy to find sometimes, but right now it's harder due to worldwide shortages etc.

You will also have to buy camber washers, the kits which give extra camber range for alignments, for better tire wear. Note that most trucks can't get a good alignment when the height is dropped 2" or more from stock. So be ready for some excess inner tire wear.

or
Also check bump stop clearance.

Or, just do it right and get lowering spindles and keep reasonable front geometry and not ride around on maxed out travel.

Or, just do it right and get lowering spindles and keep reasonable front geometry and not ride around on maxed out travel.

When did they make a lowering spindle? I recall looking for that about ten years ago, but there were only lift spindles that last time I looked.

Here are a pair of the drop keys on eBay, there are several brands so I don't know if this is a best or worst brand, just one result searching, $45;

When did they make a lowering spindle? I recall looking for that about ten years ago, but there were only lift spindles that last time I looked.
I thought fab tech made lowering spindles for 2wd models.

I didn't find anything just now in a short search. The 2WD may have some choices too that 4WD doesn't, and I'm not familiar with many brands for serious suspension stuff. Belltech was the biggest brand for most 4WD lowering kits and parts, but with no lowering spindles for the 2nd gen Explorer. I would prefer a better spindle, the geometry would be much better.

I see the 98-2000 Rangers use a front coil spring, and then in 2001 got the torsion bars.

I’m pretty sure they were available at one time, because I was excited to see it was an option, only to be let down it was. 2wd thing. I could certainly be wrong.

There are so many variations of parts, every time I hunt for things like spindle, it's frustrating and I don't usually have enough patience to keep looking for long.

If there is a 2WD spindle, that would solve the camber issue and let the owner easily adjust the height and get a good alignment. Only my 98 Mountaineer has let me go as low as I wanted to. The frame and CA mounts vary among all trucks, I thought my other Explorers would let me do the same with them, and they all have the same camber kits in them.

Get lowering spindles. The ride is going to be very poor because you are near full droop with the bolts all the way out.
Thanks. I was in a thinking rut and needed another idea

Thanks for that idea. I was in a thinking rut

There are so many variations of parts, every time I hunt for things like spindle, it's frustrating and I don't usually have enough patience to keep looking for long.

If there is a 2WD spindle, that would solve the camber issue and let the owner easily adjust the height and get a good alignment. Only my 98 Mountaineer has let me go as low as I wanted to. The frame and CA mounts vary among all trucks, I thought my other Explorers would let me do the same with them, and they all have the same camber kits in them.
The front end is a 4x4 unit with the differential and axles gone. So I would need a spindle dropped for a 4x4?

The front end is a 4x4 unit with the differential and axles gone. So I would need a spindle dropped for a 4x4?

No actually, you can use any 2WD spindle you'd like for 2nd gen Explorers, or the 2001-10 Rangers, 01-05 Sport Tracs. You would also have to have 2WD front rotors and bearings to match 2WD spindles.

You want it lower of course, I just listed the matching applications, those can be used to hunt aftermarket parts.

The 98-2000 Rangers have front coil springs, I don't know how any of those front suspension parts could swap. The top spring perch is likely a no go feature.

Not having the axle shafts doesn’t make it a “2wd chassis” like your first post says.

Back