Lowering Gen 1 4x4 ... Lots of Q's! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering Gen 1 4x4 ... Lots of Q's!

DeadlySteve

Reaction score
City, State
Council Bluffs, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
Hello! I'm new to the forums. PLEASE forgive my initial slew of questions. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute soon. I'm looking for input as I'm new to all of this. Maybe this all shouldn't go into this forum, but I'll start here.

I have a 1994 explorer limited 4x4. I'm in a bit of an odd situation. I don't go wheeling at all, but I live in Missouri where there's a lot of really twisty slippery roads you need 4x4 in the winter for.

I REALLY like gen 1 explorers, so I'm working on improving the performance and handling of my x... it'll be a Rally Explorer! ...maybe not. lol It may be silly and I should probably just get a Subaru or something, but I'm having fun!

It's torn apart and I'm swapping in a manual transmission because I miss having one and the auto from that year is... lacking.

I have the Ifab intake with 70mm maf off a mustang and explorer express 66mm throttle body, Flowmaster 1 to 2 dual exhaust.

I'm working on larger front and rear brakes with rear disc brake conversions as well to accommodate larger rims.

Is it worth getting the explorer express headers?

Are performance chips worth it on 1st gens? Any suggestions for one?

I already have found out I can only lower it 2 inches with springs/blocks. I'll take what I can get.

Will the 18" Sport Trac rims work on mine? The bolt patterns seem to be the same for all the years.

They're only 7.5 inches wide though... anyone know how wide of a rim I can go with?

I'd love any suggestions... anything at all.

Sorry for the wall of text >_>

I'm working on larger front and rear brakes with rear disc brake conversions as well to accommodate larger rims.

I did a Big Brake Swap on my `92 Explorer. There is only 1 other guy here that has done it as well. I installed 13" Cobra Brakes on the front, and I have a `97 Explorer Rear-end complete with disc brakes.
Is it worth getting the explorer express headers?

No.
Are performance chips worth it on 1st gens? Any suggestions for one?

No.
I already have found out I can only lower it 2 inches with springs/blocks. I'll take what I can get.

Will the 18" Sport Trac rims work on mine? The bolt patterns seem to be the same for all the years.

Yes they will.
They're only 7.5 inches wide though... anyone know how wide of a rim I can go with?

I have 18x10's with 285/50-18's in the rear....and 18x9 with 255/55-18 in the front.
I'd love any suggestions... anything at all.

I don't have any advice for you, but this seem like one sick concept.

Thanks guys! That info was really helpful Spdrcer. I'm a BIG fan of what you've done on your X. Very nice stuff. Mine is all white as well, so yours is a big inspiration.

Back