lowering kits for 2nd gen explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowering kits for 2nd gen explorers?

Post number 5 has been selected as best answered.

8mile

Reaction score
i have a 96 explorer 5.0l and i want to lower it not slammed but lowered about 2-3" and i want it to be a stiff suspension so it can handle on a autocross course and even a racetrack is there any lowering kits out there?

im also gonna probaly build strut tower braces and buy som thicker sway bars etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blocks in the rear and loosen the torsion bar bolts. Get it aligned (if possible) afterwards....

Might need to cut the front bump stops a little too.

so take axle lift blocks and put them under the axle on top of the leaf spring and flip the torsion bar?
im new to these cars so what do that have instead of struts?

you have torsion bars

start reading

The back needs the most work. You can buy bigger sway bars for each end, the back needs that bad.

When it's all done, the rear will still move way too much for serious cornering. If that is the real goal, work hard on finding a way to install a panhard bar in the back. The tendency to roll over has a lot to do with the back end(tires) wiggling around separately from the body. The leaf springs don't keep the tires directly under the body in the same line, the tires move side to side with cornering forces. That makes it all "loose" in back, and the body is "twitching" to go to the side without the tires(rollover).

Find a way to build a panhard bar frame mounting bracket on one side. The space is tight back there, but I think a PHB can be fitted. If you do accomplish that, then the truck will handle much more predictably, which is more safe. Regards,

Back