Lowering questions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering questions!

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
Okay i have a 99 sport, i just put 3" blocks in the rear and lowered the torsion bars all the way, but its just not low enough! Lol what are some options i have? I cant seem to find a flip kit for the rear, and im not sure if 3" keys will really drop it another 3"!! Please help!!
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also you can get a belltech lowering shackle for the rear.
Finally, not sure if it would work or if it's safe, but you could take a couple of the spacer leafs on your monoleaf rear suspension and put them above the main leaf. (hope that made sense...idk if its do-able though)

Thats Awesome for the front, i think i will tackle that next, but what about the rear? And also do you know of any drop shocks? Thanks again! Im one happy camper! :D

Yea i actually thought of that when i did the blocks, i bought some aftermarket rear shackles but it would fit! Those spacers are an easy 2 to 3 inches thick! Idk ill try it out!

Whenever i figure this site out a little more and figure how to post pictures i will deff put some up here! This is my project so ill keep everyone posted on what i have up my sleeves! :)

Found it! Ill throw some before and after pictures up tomorrow! Thanks for all the help!!

so i will just throw my 2 cents in. are you 2wd, or 4wd? if your 4wd, you dont want to go any lower then 2 inch. reason being you will destroy your front axles because it will put them at to much of a angle if you are doing a reverse TT. the next thing you will want to do is also cut your bump stops, both front and rear. it will give you a little more travel. also, look into getting some camber adjusters. that way when you go to get the front end aligned, it will be done proper, and hopefully you wont have bump steer. you will also want to check over your tail pipe when you drop the truck. it may hit the axle when going over bumps, and also you might want to look and see if your spare tire carrier doesn't come into contact with your diff cover.

^this guy here....just came and totally blew my little bit of advice out of the water.
Also, vroom, if you ever wanna "donate" your beautiful vehicle to a poor little (well, decently sized) college kid, I'm a very willing candidate. Haha I love that thing man.

my sport is a 2wd, what i did was unbolt the muffler and tail pipe and threw it away, and honestly doesnt sound half bad. i ordered my camber/caster bolts already and ill put them on at work an align it myself. this saturday i am goin to try and do the front torsion key flip thing, as thats the only time at work i can work on my own vehicle! so this is my before and kinda before picture of the drop, once i go more ill put the final pics up!hope you enjoy and thats for the advise guy

Back