• Register Today It's free!

Lowering Shackles

R1dd1cK

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport V8 4406 4X4
Any body ever use lowering shackles on there 1st or 2nd gen explorer? Any know know where to get them from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They make lowering shackles for the f150. Just seeing if they make them for the explorer too. And I already have a set of lift/lowering blocks. I'm just looking for more lowering options.

because of the design of explorer shackles, a lowering shackle is impossible. I suppose you "could" drill some holes into the existing shackles, but would it allow enough compression swing, if the leaf would fit in there at all.

The stock shackles holes are about 4" off center from each other.

Generally vehicles that can use "lowering" shackles have up side down shackles. Mounted on the side of the frame rails. Look at the leaf springs on a ranger, this is how they are set up.

Explorers have the shackles in line with the frame, so really you can only lift with shackles. However it would be possible to go a little shorter, just don't expect anything more than 1/2" at the most. Not sure that's even realistic

OK well I was not waiting to use it for much drop. More or less just to level out my drop if it is needed.

If you want just a little bit of drop go back to the sport leafs and have some custom shackles made. I'll make you some drop shackles for pretty cheap if you're interested.

I see you want 2" though, a better idea would be to keep the 4 door leafs (firmer more controlled ride) and shackles. Just use lowering blocks. Probably not that cheap though, shackles and 2 door leafs would be a better idea for your wallet.

I have already bought all the stuff to lower my EX with blocks. I was just looking at what if I just need another half inch or so in the rear to level it out.

Sport leafs or shorter shackles. But like I said, not sure you could lower it 1/2" with shackles. I'll go look later and let you know what I think.

Didn't bust out a measuring tape or anything but1/2" looks do able with shackles

Shackles will only lift an explorer. You can use lift blocks to lower them.
So all I need are lift(lowering) blocks to lower my truck?? Do I need to replace anything else??

You would be able to use a shorter shackle to get a small drop. I find myself in a situation where a SOA gives me a bit too much lift and Im looking to use some OEM shackles off a Jeep XJ (1" shorter than our stock shackles) to drop it a bit, along with removing the overload leaf.

In your case, if you are still SUA, you will be able to use a shorter shackle and still fit the springs, to a point. One of the fellas we went to Moab with last year had a tiny 2" custom shackle on his 2door, worked well enough.

Anything lower than that and you will need to turn to blocks to lower your ride.

The length of the shackles is to allow a "swing" when the spring arch of the spring compresses, which makes the spring longer. Shortening the shackle will cause this to come to an abrupt stop and possibly break the spring eyes.

Back