Lowering the Explorer | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

It really depends on the offset of the rims. Mine are 22x9 with a 38 offset and I didn't have any issues rubbing but, I wasn't happy with the way the rims looked so I got them. Here are before and after pics. Keep in mind that the spacers are only on the back. I haven't done the fronts yet.

Image-1_zpsf108c070.jpg
Image-11_zps3ec73f4b.jpg

this is my truck- my rims have 35mm offset- in your opinion will spacers be a good option or should i lower it then see what i have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. I would do springs first and go from there. You might be happy with the look and decide you don't need spacers.

Lowered and Spaced

Sorry for the delay in the request to post pics of my set up. Its all personal opinion, and IMO, the setup I went with gave me the look I wanted. I think it looks just right.....not slammed but a nice low stance....and wheels that are flush......love the look and get tons of compliments.

My set up is H&R Flex Springs and 25mm spacers front and rear.
]

Cobra John,
Where did you get your spacers from? If EBAY, do you have a link? Have you towed with your EX by chance?

Spacers

I got them on EBay.....I think I paid $149 for all four.....unfortunately I don't have the link. Sorry!!!

Lowering your ex?

I have been looking through some old threads and have not received a straight answer. From what I understand there are two sets of springs available for the ex (explorer sport and ford flex). Ford flex offers a slightly lower look as opposed to the explorer springs. What kind of drop you can expect? does it vary between each ex (sport, limited, xlt, base model). Also if u have 22's as I do will lowering the ex with either springs cause rubbing- which in turn would cause you to modify the lip on the finder or wheel well?

thanks for the help!

Cobra John,
Can you post some new larger photos of that beast? I want to see what it looks like up close. It is hard to see how your spacers look from the small photos. Try a couple of different angles so we can all see how the factory wheels are positioned out. Have you had any rubbing issues at all while using the spacers with the lower springs?
Looks good man!:notworthy Below pic is before my H&R springs and spacers

Attachments

• June 2014 iPhone dump 075.jpg
    June 2014 iPhone dump 075.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,760

I got them on EBay.....I think I paid $149 for all four.....unfortunately I don't have the link. Sorry!!!

Thanks CobraJohn.

What about towing?

I towed 14' car trailer with 3000 lbs with the Ex springs and it stayed level. I will take a picture of me hooked up to my dads 14' trailer tomorrow and post it up tomorrow night.

Here are my pics again.....hope these come out larger. For me, the spacers and springs are perfect. Love the stance

side_zps61b1413d.jpg

back_zps26e9d065.jpg

front_zps3c5571ed.jpg

Perhaps my resolution is set too high and this forum is compressing or resizing them when I post.

I'll try again later in the week when I have some time to experiment with different resolutions.
As a rule, pictures should be kept to a maximum of 800X600.
Don't forget they all add to the volume on the site servers. Also, photos posted on this forum from another photo site sometimes disappear. If you want to ensure that they are always viewable, use the Manage Attachments program that is available to all Elite members ($20).

Peter

Just checked the specs on my iphone 5, 3,264 x 2,448, not adjustable.

Your new pics are MUCH better! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I took them with my IPhone and I think they are higher than 1024x768

My Baby

Here are a couple of mine before and after I lowered it with H&R Explorer springs from Tire Rack.
I went with BORA wheels spacers. They custom made me .75" fronts and 1.0" rears in black that are 63.4mm hub bore and hub centric with a lip. They took about a week to get and they fit perfect and moved out the factory SPORT rims just enough.
I also put on the MGP capiper covers on all 4 corners to cover up the ugly factory looking ones. I ordered them from Ebay and they made them in black with the SPORT logo on them. They were easy to install and are a great product. They are made out of Aluminum and they clamp and with nuts that keep them nice and secure. I have gotten so many complements on this truck and I tell everyone its completely stock. I cant wait for my Livernoise 93 tune, Corsa Exhaust and intake!
The shop that tinted my windows wrapped my door handles (black metallic 3M vinyl with sparkles to match the paint), FORD emblems, rear bumper reflectors, and tinted my amber headlight blinkers, rear reverse lights and side reflectors with this special tint that is street legal so the lights shine through it. It camp out very nice. Total was $200 for everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,841
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,829
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,056
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,979
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 3,177
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,622

MGP SPORT caliper covers

MGP black SPORT caliper covers

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,634
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,743
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,604

Here are a couple of mine before and after I lowered it with H&R Explorer springs from Tire Rack.
I went with BORA wheels spacers. They custom made me .75" fronts and 1.0" rears in black that are 63.4mm hub bore and hub centric with a lip. They took about a week to get and they fit perfect and moved out the factory SPORT rims just enough.

Sorry for the delay in the request to post pics of my set up. Its all personal opinion, and IMO, the setup I went with gave me the look I wanted. I think it looks just right.....not slammed but a nice low stance....and wheels that are flush......love the look and get tons of compliments.
My set up is H&R Flex Springs and 25mm spacers front and rear.

If it's not much to ask, can both of you John and Billy post ground to fender measurements? It looks that the Flex gives a little more drop but it'll be nice to have numbers to compare. Thanks in advance and you both have done a very good job on your Sports.

Originally Posted by BillyG2014Sport

Looks great. Love the blacked out look :thumbsup:

Missed the blue oval on the wheels. ;)

Peter

Thanks guys! I am far from done. I am going for the stock look and I have to have a little blue oval somewhere on it I guess? I will post the measurements of the drop as soon as I get a chance. My suspension guy actually wrote them down for me when he installed the springs because H&R gives you a chart to fill out. He completed a 4 wheel alignment for me as well and said everything went great. I told me that Ford should have put those springs on from the factory. So far the truck has been riding great with the spacers and springs installed. It seems to drive more like a car now and I can tell it handles better. I haven't pushed it yet. I am waiting for the performance stuff before I start driving like a jack ass!:burnout:

BillyG, very nice mods you got going here man.
Have you bottomed out with this springs yet? Anything negative about them?
I love the look on my SRT after I lowered it but the highways around me suck and occasionally I could bottomed out if not careful. I wouldn't drop the Sport if same thing happens as this is my wife's daily driver.
Also, do you mind taking a close up pic of the front emblem and door handles?
Thanks in advance.
CobraJohn, your truck looks bad-ass. Actually every truck I've seen in this thread looks amazing with the drop and your other mods, I can't wait to start modding ours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sport

QBNKID,
Thanks. I am on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC (Mustang Week, by chance). Been hunting Mustangs for the last few days! I use to have a 2005 Mustang GT convertible with a Saleen blower etc....
I will make an attempt to get some close up pics tomorrow. So far so great with the springs and no rubbing at all. I can't believe that Ford made the inner fender so thick. The front is fine but the rear is horrible. I was worried about lowering it and pushing the wheels out an inch but I heard from others that they haven't had any issues so I went for it. I wanted to put some aftermarket rims and tires on it but I haven't found the style I like. I would prefer to stick to with 20's and 10" rims in the back. I really like the new Jeep with those 295'$! I will probably wait for the 2015 Mustang to come out and see what rims they offer. They always seem to fit the Explorers.
Cant wait to tune this thing with an intake, but not looking forward to paying for 93 octane. It needs an exhaust and I thought $1,400 for a cat back was bit much until I spoke with a reputable exhaust shop and they said it wasn't bad for a Stainless Corsa that is designed by them exclusively for this truck. He said he has never had a customer complain about one of there systems.

Back