Lowering the Explorer | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Couple more. It really seems off to me.

90B09D66-3E24-4DCA-9E2D-C0789EBEB3E4_zpso7yaxcew.jpg

D7675476-46C0-4B7D-A75D-419BB58F5CCF_zpshxqowi3p.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So measuring from the top of the center cap to the center of the wheel well, the front and rear measure as follows.

Front - 15.75 inches
Rear - 17.25 inches

An inch and a half difference seems like quite a bit when the vehicle is supposed to be level. Seems to confirm my worry that something is off with the rear.

Looking at the pictures, it almost seems the rears are as higher or higher than stock.
Picture isn't the best. I had to crop and resize it. Pic is of my 2011 LTD (stock).

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0248a.jpg
    DSC_0248a.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,034

So measuring from the top of the center cap to the center of the wheel well, the front and rear measure as follows.

Front - 15.75 inches
Rear - 17.25 inches

An inch and a half difference seems like quite a bit when the vehicle is supposed to be level. Seems to confirm my worry that something is off with the rear.

btw guys 4WD EX's will always sit higher than standard EX. Its built that way-not sure how you can fix that but the drop is not supposed to look that high in the rear on a regular ex IE. (Base Xlt Limited Sport)

It was a ford dealership that installed springs I ordered. The truck is a 4wd XLT.

btw guys 4WD EX's will always sit higher than standard EX. Its built that way-not sure how you can fix that but the drop is not supposed to look that high in the rear on a regular ex IE. (Base Xlt Limited Sport)

All the Sports come with AWD, and they supposedly sit about 1/4" lower than models on the same size wheels and tires due to a different suspension, though I haven't measured the actual difference myself.

Has anyone removed the spring isolators? Looks like it could lower or another 1/4 to 1/2 inch removing the top and bottom iso's.

Takes away the SUV look and feel.

Interesting statement and begs the question...why buy an SUV then? For pure "street rods" I guess I understand the appeal (and I do think they LOOK better) but I am not sure I want to take a 40K+ vehicle, engineered by people much smarter than me, designed as a utility vehicle (interior carry, towing, dirt roads, ruts, etc.) and lower it. Just seems....odd.

Interesting statement and begs the question...why buy an SUV then? For pure "street rods" I guess I understand the appeal (and I do think they LOOK better) but I am not sure I want to take a 40K+ vehicle, engineered by people much smarter than me, designed as a utility vehicle (interior carry, towing, dirt roads, ruts, etc.) and lower it. Just seems....odd.

The one and ONLY reason I bought this vehicle was to have the seating. I have three boys that can't sit three across a backseat b/c all they do is fight, argue and make me want to commit a triple homicide. I would've much rather kept my G8 GT but this was the right move to make for the family. My Ex will never see dirt road, ruts or anything.

So in the meantime, I would like to see it be low, slow and long. I have a set of 22's to put on it. However, being chrome and dealing with WV winters, I'm not going to put the tires on them until next spring.

Edit: Obviously joking about the triple homicide...

Looking at the pictures, it almost seems the rears are as higher or higher than stock.
Picture isn't the best. I had to crop and resize it. Pic is of my 2011 LTD (stock).

Peter

Is that one 4wd?

The one and ONLY reason I bought this vehicle was to have the seating. I have three boys that can't sit three across a backseat b/c all they do is fight, argue and make me want to commit a triple homicide. I would've much rather kept my G8 GT but this was the right move to make for the family. My Ex will never see dirt road, ruts or anything.

So in the meantime, I would like to see it be low, slow and long. I have a set of 22's to put on it. However, being chrome and dealing with WV winters, I'm not going to put the tires on them until next spring.

Totally cool, like I said just odd to me. I say that coming from a Camaro SS with intake/exhaust, chipped and lowered. The EX is my "opposite" vehicle, large, comfortable, capable of going most places I need it to go in comfort, from dinner in downtown Atlanta at Ruth's Chris to a campground down dirt roads in the N. GA mountains. I also made sure I got one with the towing package.

Again, different strokes for different folks, and you obviously have a unique requirement....hell I have NO kids (though the GF does) and I still love my EX! :)

That's interesting. Something is definitely off.

All the Sports come with AWD, and they supposedly sit about 1/4" lower than models on the same size wheels and tires due to a different suspension, though I haven't measured the actual difference myself.

AWD and 4WD to my knowledge are not the samething- which in this case may be the reason why his suspension sits so high- i believe you have to remove something other than the springs in order to reach the lowered hieght you desire.

To my knowledge, he used the same H&R spring kit that others have used with results much lower than the picture he posted. Let's not get back into the AWD / 4WD controversy that has been discussed too much already.:)

Peter

To my knowledge, he used the same H&R spring kit that others have used with results much lower than the picture he posted. Let's not get back into the AWD / 4WD controversy that has been discussed too much already.:)

Peter

i hear u- im just worried now because i just ordered my lowering HR kit for my 2014 XLT and hoping that i dont have the same results on my EX.

-Kevin

AWD and 4WD to my knowledge are not the samething- which in this case may be the reason why his suspension sits so high- i believe you have to remove something other than the springs in order to reach the lowered hieght you desire.

What could this other something else be? The front looks great, the rear is just still up in the air some. I actually got to look at mine next to a stock XLT tonight. Mine is certainly lower all the way around, just more so in the front.

Does anyone know if the rear springs have to be turned a certain way? I know on the New Edge Mustangs, the end of the coil on the bottom has to point toward the drivers side or else it doesn't sit right. Anyone know of something similar on these?

That's what all serial killers say!
fallaughemoticon_zps71426950.gif

That's what all serial killers say!
fallaughemoticon_zps71426950.gif

[/I][/B]

It takes more than 3 to be serial right? Like if I take them all out at once that's just a triple. Now if I take each one out on their birthday's, then I've shown a pattern and it becomes serial. I may be overthinking this just a touch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back