Lowering the Explorer | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Just a touch. :D

It takes more than 3 to be serial right? Like if I take them all out at once that's just a triple. Now if I take each one out on their birthday's, then I've shown a pattern and it becomes serial. I may be overthinking this just a touch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one and ONLY reason I bought this vehicle was to have the seating. I have three boys that can't sit three across a backseat b/c all they do is fight, argue and make me want to commit a triple homicide. I would've much rather kept my G8 GT but this was the right move to make for the family. My Ex will never see dirt road, ruts or anything.

Edit: Obviously joking about the triple homicide...
HAHAHA!!! I have four boys, I KNOW THE FEELING!!!!

You mean standard on sport? Not all limited explorers are AWD.
Okay I guess I should have explained that. All Limiteds in Canada are AWD.

Peter

Looking at all the pics of what I was trying to get mine to look like, none of them have the "4WD" moniker on the back. Wonder if that's what is causing me the problem.

There are pics of the lowered Sport and all Sports are AWD. The one in the pics without the 4WD on the back have likely been 'debadged' as some members have done.

Peter

There are pics of the lowered Sport and all Sports are AWD. The one in the pics without the 4WD on the back have likely been 'debadged' as some members have done.

Peter

Well there goes that theory then. It does seem to be settling some but not quite to what I've been seeing in pictures. Thinking the isolator's are going to come out. Then probably wait until the spring when I put the new wheels/tires on and see where it is at that point and go from there. I'm not looking for the "tucked" look but certainly more a low, slow and wide look.

Well there goes that theory then. It does seem to be settling some but not quite to what I've been seeing in pictures. Thinking the isolator's are going to come out. Then probably wait until the spring when I put the new wheels/tires on and see where it is at that point and go from there. I'm not looking for the "tucked" look but certainly more a low, slow and wide look.

Did the springs ever settle using the Explorer kit 51630?

I just lowered my 2014 XLT utlizing the 51630 HR Ex Springs and it has settled about two weeks now- its a moderate drop- was hoping that the rear would have been a half inch lower but I like it. I know for a fact that the FLEX springs give you a more aggressive drop. Also the SPORT model has a diff. suspension which allows for a lower profile utilizing the same EX sprngs. I dont understand but it appears to be the case. I will be posting pics soon to show comparison and also measurements.

I just lowered my 2014 XLT utlizing the 51630 HR Ex Springs and it has settled about two weeks now- its a moderate drop- was hoping that the rear would have been a half inch lower but I like it. I know for a fact that the FLEX springs give you a more aggressive drop. Also the SPORT model has a diff. suspension which allows for a lower profile utilizing the same EX sprngs. I dont understand but it appears to be the case. I will be posting pics soon to show comparison and also measurements.

That would be great if would do that. The next question is if I used the Flex spring kit would I still be able to tow? I know there are a couple of posts for that kit on the sport edition and being to low for towing heavy. I assume the Flex kit sits higher on a non sport edition maybe?

That would be great if would do that. The next question is if I used the Flex spring kit would I still be able to tow? I know there are a couple of posts for that kit on the sport edition and being to low for towing heavy. I assume the Flex kit sits higher on a non sport edition maybe?

you can possibly tow with the FLEX kit on a non-sport- My measurements are as follows:

Before:

Front-31 3/4 (31.75)
Rear- 33 1/8

After:

Front-31
Rear- 32

So basically 3 quarters of an inch drop in the front and an 1.25 inchs in the rear. I havent been able to take pics but will be posted by the end of the week.

Did the springs ever settle using the Explorer kit 51630?

They have settled some. I, like other people, wish the rear would sit another 1/2 inch lower, but it is definitely lower than it was in my previous pictures. The front is just about perfect, the rear just is still flapping in the wind a bit. Hoping putting the 22's on and the offset pushing wheels out toward the fender will help. However, I won't know about that until spring time.

They have settled some. I, like other people, wish the rear would sit another 1/2 inch lower, but it is definitely lower than it was in my previous pictures. The front is just about perfect, the rear just is still flapping in the wind a bit. Hoping putting the 22's on and the offset pushing wheels out toward the fender will help. However, I won't know about that until spring time.

Have you aligned it yet? if so did it help? i havent aligned mine yet

It was aligned. Although alignment isn't going to change the stance at all, just how much camber or "tilt" the wheels have.

If you could post measurements the be great and would complete the Flex vs Explorer springs on non sport X's.

Thanks Slikirish

Measured from center of wheel to bottom of fender in the center of the fender

17 on the nose for the front
18 and 1/8 on the rear

Any one lower their Explorer with the 18" rims? I am waiting to see what it looks like, I don't know if I want to get the Explorer 20" yet, kinda pricy on CL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back