lowering with coilovers and other questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowering with coilovers and other questions

BlueRoo

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
64 Fairlane, 00 Mounty
Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I'm working on an all wheel drive project using a 2000 Mountaineer as a base but the end result will be quite far removed from the Mountaineer.

I've been searching the forum over the last few weeks but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I'll try to break it down.

1) As indicated by the title, I'm looking to go lower but the torsion bars will create some major issues in this application. I've seen installing coilovers for and ditching the bars on lifted applications but has anyone done on it to lower one of these and if so, do you have a part number for a coilover? Also would a limiting strap still be needed? The most offroad the vehicle will see is dirt/gravel roads and grass parking lots.

2) ECU...The project is going to (hopefully) wind up being about 1000lbs lighter than the Mountaineer and the 5.0 will be using a different cam, larger throttle body, intake tube, 331 stroker kit and it'll be backed by a built T5. Can I have the stock ECU reflashed, use a tuner or do I need to go standalone? Target is 350hp.

3) Front axle...I've always been more of a rear drive guy and I've heard differing opinions on a front axle posi unit. Is one even available for these and does it really make steering that much of a pain?

4) Speaking of steering, being that the project is lower and lighter, is there a faster rack that can be bolted in?

I'll probably have more questions over the next few months but these are some of the bigger ones I'm looking at right now

Welcome, and bring on those ideas. I like it since a lot of it is on my list to do.

I don't know what you have in mind to drop 1000lbs from the 4500lbs SUV.

Find the thread about a 2007 Sport Trac and a 302 swap, the latest talk about coil over shocks is in that the last few days. greg posted in that, and he has a lot of experience with the coil overs in his off road IRS truck(95 I think it is(with a 302 already)). He will be very helpful about shock lengths, coil lengths and rates etc. That will be one of my last changes prior to paint and a new 332.

The stock PCM can handle any modifications, given new programming. Look into a flasher by SCT, and a tuner familiar with them and the Explorers.

There is one front diff, with torque sensing, the Torsen, about $550, bolts right in. But hunt it now, they only make short runs every couple of years. I have one I haven't installed yet, but others have and say it's great except for deeper snow(plows a bit).

For the rack your only choice is going to be contacting an aftermarket business which rebuilds Ford racks, and can customize them. I haven't done that yet, but it's also on my wish list. Look for businesses that do Mustang racks, those are more likely to be able to help. Regards,

Back