• Register Today It's free!

Lowering...

DraG-OnZ

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2OO1 Explorer Sport
I was wondering what would be the best method for lowering an explorer. I have a 2001 Sport 4wd, I was also wondering what would the most you could lower it without problems be. I was looking to lower it 2-3".

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since its a 4x4 I wouldnt do anymore than 2". I lowered the front of mine 2" and the back 1". The front is just a matter of losening the torsion bolts and the back is blocks. Actually, you have a sport so you dont need blocks. Just take the spacers out from the bottom and place them inbetween the axle and leaf. All it will cost you is an alignment. Heres a pic of mine...
194666_2_full.jpg

Thats all as in thats all you can lower it or thats all it costs? What do you mean?

you have a sport so you dont need blocks

i believe it was just 2dr EX's that had the spacers in the rear. i thought i read something about it being because Ford could save money by not having to have different rear shocks for the 2dr's.

Hey I was looking at the 1 3/8 lowering kit on Ex. express. Is that a good deal or not???

wait wait wiat, you can lower the back how much by just take the spacers out from the bottom and place them inbetween the axle and leaf. And this is safe for it? no problems?

You would have to talk to someone with a lowered sport to find out how low you can go by doing that. My guess is you can get about 1.5 - 2" out of it. The spacers in the sports are there because there is a monoleaf in the back instead of a leaf pack like the 4dr's. They take up the extra space because the monoleaf is smaller so that ford could use the same shocks as the 4dr's like ben said. I dont see why this wouldnt be safe because its the same as putting blocks in. I would look in the Dead Link Removed thread since just about everyone with a lowered X has posted in there. Find someone that lowered their sport and ask them about it. I'm just repeating stuff I read on here.

As for the EE kit... it has all the stuff you need but its way too expensive IMO. I got 1" blocks for mine with U-bolts at autozone for $20 and the alignment shop supplied the camber adjusters. With the EE kit you get U-bolts, blocks, camber adjusters and a really expensive set of instructions.

since the sport and explorer 3dr have different types of leafs im assuming that 1991 - 2003 FORD EXPLORER LEAFSPRINGS LOWERED 3" would definatly not fit a 2002 sport, am i right?

There have been people that put a leaf pack from a 4dr on a 2dr sport to get rid of the rear end sag. Pretty simple switch. Just take out the monoleaf and those spacers that are in there and put the new leaf pack in.

Alright thanks 98fordx24...i'll try autozone...

on my 2dr, there were 4 spacers stacked together. each one was @ 3/8". so moving them gives you @ 1 1/2" drop.

i lowered my front 2 1/2" and the rear 1 1/2". this gets rid of the illusion of rear end sag caused by the shape of the fenderwells. but, if you really look at it, you can tell the rear sits higher. a couple weeks ago, i had 2 people sitting in the rear seats when i stopped at a gas station. the truck was sitting perfectly level with the extra weight and looked a lot lower. i'm probably going to get some 2" blocks and still use one of the spacers to make it sit more level and look lower.

Has anyone with a '01 Sport done what 98FordX24
is talking about inorder to lower a '01 Sport? I'm just trying to get info for my local mechanic who would do this for me?

I'm pretty sure an 01 is the same as a 98 which is what ben has. He pretty much just described the whole thing. You might want to contact a member named naplesbill or look in the Dead Link Removed thread to find someone with an 01 to help you. I'm pretty sure they have the same suspension tho.

Back