LS Swap in a second gen Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LS Swap in a second gen Explorer

@4pointslow If you weren't so far away, I would sell you my solid, salt free, southern 1997 4.0 SOHC powered Explorer. The engine and transmission are tired, but they still work. In our state of Alabama, road salt is rarely, if ever used here. It snows maybe 2 inches a year for 2 or 3 hours total. We don't get snow like Texas does. It would be great for your conversion without taking apart your other race truck. I see now that you are looking for a 2 door. Mine is 4 dr. Let me know if you need someone to help you search for a solid, salt free 2 dr. They are around but get crushed if they sit too long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mean, not sure how long at least the front chain guides have, but my '99 4 door still runs and up for grabs, though having the visor on the front ain't exactly aerodynamic 😂
That and Florida ain't close either 😂
But I wish ya luck on hunting one down, hopefully ya get lucky on a good one!

Alabama and Florida seem like much better places to live for a car guy like me.
I hate road salt or whatever they are using, and they put that stuff down all the time here in NJ.
Unfortunately, I don't see myself moving anytime soon.

The reason I would only buy a 1995 two door for this swap is because 1996 and newer vehicles need to be inspected by the state here.
If I had a 1995 it would open more possibilities as I would not have restrictions to worry about. 95 is the only second gen year that would not require interference from the state.

I may pick up another daily driver first and get rid of my 2004 as I don't like driving that truck because it doesn't fit me like the second gens do.
I feel like a little kid sitting on a big couch when I am in that thing. I am eyeing up a 1998 and a 2000 at the moment but would have to verify there is no rust on the rockers or wheel wells.

I mean, the road salt sucks, but the heat and humidity down here absolutely sucks 😂
Though it does mean the vehicles are usually better in wise of rust, just hot as crap when working on them

Ahhh, fair enough reasoning!

Nice, hope they're in decent shape and ya can nab 'em for a good price

move to cali ;) we got heat but no rust and humidity... but we have CARB LOL

How bad is the state inspection for the 96 and newer?

How bad is the state inspection for the 96 and newer?
It used to be worse, but they dropped safety inspections, LOL. They just kept emissions.
They plug into the OBD connector and check various things like the readiness monitors.
I believe you can have 2 not ready up to around 2002?
My 2004 is only allowed 1 not ready. I know because I fought a problem with my EGR monitor not running and that kept one of the other monitors from running as well, due to order of processes. There are pdf files posted on the internet for Ford OBD emissions information, complicated to read the first time but eventually I learned from the different model year pdf's I found.

NJ inspection is good for two years, it used to be one, which was worse. Still would prefer none at all.
I am not into deleting emissions equipment anyway, I had all my stuff working on my race truck and still ran 12.80 in the 1/4 without nitrous.
My plan is to have all the same monitors and have all the emissions equipment working on this LS swap, and air conditioning too. LOL.

Out here in the west, a good running rust free 95 goes for $1,000- $3,000 range. Another forum member is about to give up on his 96 that has no spark. He said a junk yard would give him $340 for it. It's in SC.

Man, I got to move out of NJ, stuff turns into rust buckets pretty easily here.
Really, I can't image moving as I have lived here all my life, but I like to daydream that I live in a world where cars don't rust.

I couldn't imagine having to deal with inspections here in Alabama. A lot of good cars and trucks make their way here from Nasville and Atlanta that won't pass inspection there.
@4pointslow Is the GM stuff in the generation that you are working with OBD2?

One of my daughters-in-law's is from NJ. I never hear of her being homesick. Maybe because her parents moved to Lynchburg, TN...They don't complain either. Maybe because they moved to Lynchburg, TN. Isn't @donalds from NJ?

I couldn't imagine having to deal with inspections here in Alabama. A lot of good cars and trucks make their way here from Nasville and Atlanta that won't pass inspection there.
@4pointslow Is the GM stuff in the generation that you are working with OBD2?
Yes, the GM stuff is from around 2001-2001 and is OBD2.

My next project is doing an LS swap to a second gen Explorer. (This has been done by someone else already on here)
If I get to finish this project, it will be topped off with a GT500 supercharger.
Going to something like LS fest with an Explorer and running some respectable time in the 1/4 mile would be fun for me, especially with things that don't normally go together like an Explorer with a GM engine topped with a Ford supercharger.
I am creating this thread to keep track of what I do and what I learn along the way.

To start things off I bought a $500.00 2002 Silverado 4wd drivetrain that came with an engine/trans/tcase, wiring harness and PCM.
I needed something to be able to mockup things like engine mount brackets and see how to fit this in the vehicle.
A polyurethane LS engine(like one from P-Ayr) used for mockup/fabrication purposes is almost $500.00 for just the long block so this drivetrain is already a bargain for my purposes.

View attachment 432369
I have one of the cleanest 94 First gens that I would get rid of. The engine is already out. I can send you pics if interested.

I have one of the cleanest 94 First gens that I would get rid of. The engine is already out. I can send you pics if interested.
Is it the Limited listed in your profile?

Ooh, I'd love to see an early Limited with a respectable drivetrain. I moved from my 93 to a 99 mainly due to the worn out front suspension, which is a bigger deal for me having never worked on that long cross arm IFS. The interior seats and space inside is as good as the 2nd gens too, but the 95-01 dash was more appealing to me. That's all about individual taste of course.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the offer but since my first Explorer was a second gen I am biased to that generation.

Back