LSD opperating as open diff. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LSD opperating as open diff.

True-trac is a good choice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a locker. its not worth putting in a limited slip when you can put in a locker with almost as good road manners (powertrax no slip), and it won't wear out.

my opinion only.

LukeDog3D said:
get a locker. its not worth putting in a limited slip when you can put in a locker with almost as good road manners (powertrax no slip), and it won't wear out.

my opinion only.
For me personally a locker is out of the question. Like I said when first asked i dont plan to do any hard core off roading. The Explorer is my beater as i already have a car to play with. I think a true-is a good choice considering that its a helical LSD so it will never wear out either. Yet at the same time i dont want to throw $300+ at the explorer which is why i plan to just rebuild the clutch packs for now.

Christobal65 said:
For me personally a locker is out of the question. Like I said when first asked i dont plan to do any hard core off roading. The Explorer is my beater as i already have a car to play with. I think a true-is a good choice considering that its a helical LSD so it will never wear out either. Yet at the same time i dont want to throw $300+ at the explorer which is why i plan to just rebuild the clutch packs for now.
if you go to the dealer, a clutch pack will run you probably a few dollars short of a hundred. so i dunno if you really wanna rebuild em. plus dont forget you gotta put new oil in the diff, and get some RTV to seal it. So if I were you, i would probably leave it the way it is - just make sure the fluid is up to the fill hole.

Summit racing has ford 8.8 lsd rebuild packs for 50 I have lots of RVT and gear fluid around the house, in fact i think the fluid is royal purple synthitic.

Christobal65 said:
Summit racing has ford 8.8 lsd rebuild packs for 50
can u please post the link? i tried looking at summit's website and only found the rebuild kit for the 9" axle.

EDIT:
nevermind, found it! thanks anyway!
FMS-M-4700-B

Christobal65 said:
If the LSD is KIA what would it cost to fix it? What would i need? Would it hurt anything to keep driving it with out repairing the LSD?

BTW, if you don't do it yourself (which it sounds like you are going to), forget it and just run it as an open. I am contemplating doing something with mine (either rebuild the existing one or putting in a locker of some sort). My problem is, although I am mechanically inclined, I have never been inside a differential and I am a bit skittish that I will be getting in over my head.

As part of the decision making process, I called around to get pricing from dealers and transmission shops on rebuilding the clutches. The quotes ranged from $700 to $1500 (
n1qshok.gif
). Hell, it would almost be cheaper to by a truck with a working LSD!

There should be no problem running the LSD without repairing the clutches. It just defaults back to an open type diffy.

PJC said:
...My problem is, although I am mechanically inclined, I have never been inside a differential and I am a bit skittish that I will be getting in over my head.

If you can sip a beer and turn a wrench, you can open a differential and screw around with it. Just remember to READ THE DIRECTIONS! haha also buy some brake cleaner, and keep everything CLEAN as humanly possible. If you plan on keeping the clutch-driven limited slip, remember to use friction modifier when replacing the gear oil. Synthetic high-temp gear oils (Amsoil 75w-90) will have friction modifier already in it.

Creager said:
keep everything CLEAN as humanly possible
that means dont breath on the differential - especially with the flu season around the corner.

Oh i deffinitally plan to do it my self, other wise i would just leave it be.

I was reviewing the instructions for it and it doesnt seem to be too hard, and I always take my time the first time i do anything like that.

Back