LT265/75/16's on 98 xlt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LT265/75/16's on 98 xlt?

Right now i have some tired general 255/65/16's on my 98 AWD. I dont belive in putting stock size tires back on. With a TT and the F-150 leaf swap in the rear can i fit an A/T 265/75/16 without a lot of rubbing?? The truck doesnt see trail duty so flex and stuffing is big. I just want it a bit taller with a more aggressive foot print. TIA!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will fit just fine, might just have to do a little TT.

They fit fine stock. I have them on my '98 EB 4dr X. no rubbing and sits nice and tall. Even my wife likes them.

B

ThunderB, you say that you have 265/75/16's on your eddie bauer w/ out rubbing. Did you have to trim at all? I have a 98 eb, and after some measuring, i dont think they will fit mine. Im gonna try to fit them, though mine is a 5.0l if that makes a difference.

BlingNGasoline said:
ThunderB, you say that you have 265/75/16's on your eddie bauer w/ out rubbing. Did you have to trim at all? I have a 98 eb, and after some measuring, i dont think they will fit mine. Im gonna try to fit them, though mine is a 5.0l if that makes a difference.

I had them on my 97 EB and didnt have to trim a bit. You will be absolutely fine, I promise.

I don't have a clue about what will fit, but my 01 explorer came factory with 255/70/16s. I think they are about 30" X 10". Would the AWD make a big difference in clearance?

Brian_B said:
I don't have a clue about what will fit, but my 01 explorer came factory with 255/70/16s. I think they are about 30" X 10". Would the AWD make a big difference in clearance?

naa, AWD makes no difference at all.

ThunderB said:
They fit fine stock. I have them on my '98 EB 4dr X. no rubbing and sits nice and tall. Even my wife likes them.

B
Nope, no trimming. I bought it used and it came with brand-new 265/75/16 tires. They are off-brand, but ride good. The dealer had just put them on before I bought it. They fill up the wheelwells nicley. My spare is a Goodyear 255/70/16 so I imagine that is what it came with. I talked to the former owner and he got the Goodyears from the recall atfer his Firestones were nearly worn out. I know the dealer wouldn't have done any modifications to fit them. Nothing is cut or rubbed. I checked and the shackels are stock. Maybe the EB sits a bit higher than the XLT's and the airide Limiteds.
I gotta say, I do like the height. It's nice to be door to door with fullsize rigs.

B

Mine is not quite as large as ThunderBs, but its sits nicely for stock size. Mine is an XLT, but supposedly had some sort of sport package. Whatever that is. I do sit about even with most full size rigs. I was parked between a small Chevy SUV and an olds SUV the other day at school (both 2WD). I was about 6" taller than either of them. :D I should have taken a picture, but it looked like I was in bad company.

Brian_B said:

The 265/75/16 tires are 31.5" tall. They measure about the same height as the 33x13.50 Mickey T's on my '78 Bronco :). A friend has a 2004 Sportrac 2WD and it also came with the 255/70/16 Goodyears. You can go to PepBoys.com and they have tire measurment charts so you can see the actual dimensions of the tire sizes. There is some slight variance between brands.

B

Back